10-04-2012, 16:44   #41
aekko

I am a Bluetooth firmware engineer and working for development of Bluetooth SoC. I have simply debug with my Polar wearlink Bluetooth.

Firstly, I found the bluetooth connection loss occurs only when using the strap. If I connect the metal points of the sensor with my two fingers, it works very stable. So trust me the bluetooth on the device is stable and just follows SPP (serial port profile) to send the very simple binary datum, including heart beats and battery info, to the mobile phone.

So it tells the issue comes from the strap with poor conduct electricity.

Regarding to the lifetime, the power consumption of the sensor would be cost for the sensor and bluetooth transmit. I guess it would consume more than 1mA. So if using Panasonic CR2025 Battery with 150 mAh, 150 hours SEEMS reasonable. HOWEVER, there're still variables for bluetooth transmit, such as sleep mode, packet type, role...etc. Therefore, I can say different phones may lead different lifetime.

Anyway, for myself usage, I already give up the strap. My solution is to use waterproof breathable tape to tie the sensor and the two metal points will touch to my chest immediately.

Hope this helps....

AEKKO
aekko is offline Reply With Quote
10-04-2012, 16:58   #42
m1ke_k

aekko, thanks for the information!
However less than 15 hours of battery life looks like a bug either in hardware or in the unique combination of the phone stack and this particular device... I have almost no connection/stability issues, though.

While my kernel version is different from the affected ones, I still plan to upgrade phone's firmware (to unofficial one) just to get more battery life with this sensor. Does it sound insane?

Btw, does anyone have artificial peaks in sensor readings? I have a few on a few rides, where it records ~ 205 bpm during an easy descent section of the route, when my personal consistent limit is near ~185 bpm. Could such incorrect readings happen because of poor contact or not so wet (because of the wind) strap?
m1ke_k is offline Reply With Quote
10-04-2012, 18:41   #43
aekko

Originally Posted by m1ke_k View Post
aekko, thanks for the information!
However less than 15 hours of battery life looks like a bug either in hardware or in the unique combination of the phone stack and this particular device... I have almost no connection/stability issues, though.

While my kernel version is different from the affected ones, I still plan to upgrade phone's firmware (to unofficial one) just to get more battery life with this sensor. Does it sound insane?

Btw, does anyone have artificial peaks in sensor readings? I have a few on a few rides, where it records ~ 205 bpm during an easy descent section of the route, when my personal consistent limit is near ~185 bpm. Could such incorrect readings happen because of poor contact or not so wet (because of the wind) strap?
The poor conduct will lead the Bluetooth connection loss and reconnection, which also leads to more power consumption and miscalculation of your heart beat.

So to figure out the reason, firstly you must resolve the poor conduct issue or avoid it in your run, and then check if miscalculation and shorter lifetime would be improved.

I am using Samsung Galaxy S2 and I will try to check its Bluetooth baseband behavior. If the power mode in connected state is always active, then the power consumption may exceed 2mAh, which means less than 75hours with 150 mAh battery.

AEKKO
aekko is offline Reply With Quote
20-06-2012, 13:31   #44
wzwack

solution
I have had all the problems with the Wearlink Bluetooth transmitter as reported. I use a Nokia 5230 with Sportstracker Software. One person in this thread blamed the Strap on all this disfunktion at seems logic to me. So I ordered the sportstracker-strap hoping it is connectable to the Polar Transmitter. Today i got mail from Finland. The Transmitter fits in the Strap and it works without any losses of connention perfectly.
If your transmitter has connection problems, try the Sportstrackerstrap. For 9.95€
I hope Polar is able to make special Strap for the Bluetooth transmitter because with the regular polar transmitter to my F11 watch, my old straps work even as well as they always did
wzwack is offline Reply With Quote
20-06-2012, 16:24   #45
wzwack

solution
I am sure that aekko´s way to deal with the Problem will work anyway, but why trying when the sportstrackerstrap fits
wzwack is offline Reply With Quote
20-06-2012, 16:46   #46
m1ke_k

My main problem is battery life. Can anyone confirm that changing phone firmware (kernel) helps? (Note, that oficially my kernel version should not be affected.)

I've made a log during heart rate readings with Catlog program.
My phone
Other phone (not sure on battery life with it)
Maybe someone can see the difference.

I can live with spontanous short abnormal readings from the sensor. Saw more of them on a high speed road descents...
m1ke_k is offline Reply With Quote
02-09-2012, 17:30   #47
antonioyo

Any news on the problem with battery life? I was happy with my Polar CS200 and WearLink 31 sensor, but was thinking on buying a WearLink+ transmitter with Bluetooth in order to use Endomondo with my Samsung Galaxy Nexus with Android 4.1.1 (kernel 3.0.31). But if I'll have to change the battery every three times I go out with my bike, then I will stick with the CS200 or look at other products from other companies.

And no, the official response of "it works with these other phone models" is not good. I'm not going to change my phone in order to use a heart monitor.

So, any news about this?
antonioyo is offline Reply With Quote
09-09-2012, 02:24   #48
kwlandry

Clear and simple truth....
I'm with Geoffery Transom, the product is pure crap. Polar has been living off the same patents for 30 years, with the innovation level of 102 year olds.

It's time they step up, take an honorable position, and license out the HRM patents to those that are interested in innovating new product rather than sucking dry the teat of market position.

I've always thought of Finns as honest, hard working people but this is not their finest representation in the world market.

The product is infuriating because it promises to provide for a real need, an important need and it fails. Again and again. If this were solving a problem like paper-cuts it would be one thing but this is heart rate monitoring, for christos-sake.

If fitness is not important enough how about those that are using such a device for rehab? Clearly Polar doesn't have enough of a moral foundation to even be embarrassed by this failing and embarrassing even more so if they state they never considered this fact. Even so, personal fitness ought to be important enough to engender embarrassment from the poorness of this product.

And to hear from Polar again and again that it's the improper care of the strap, or the phone being used is the problem, or the user is the problem, putting their phone in the wrong place, etc..., etc...., etc..... WTH??? Clearly they doth protest too much....

I feel for any forum moderator that has to keep shoveling out the same thin excuses the company provides rather than providing an actual resolution, unless, of course they actually believe the same pablum even after posting it in far too many topics complaining about the same thing.

Polar should suffer the market forces that have taken other companies out or they should step up and show they are a company that stands behind their product, innovates and is a protagonist for it's customers instead of the antagonist it is.

KWL
kwlandry is offline Reply With Quote
19-09-2012, 11:46   #49
tomraven

my phone can't detect my polar bt device
I used my bt hr monigor 2 or 3 times and then my phone could no longer detect it, never mind connecting or pairing. I put in a new baterry and I was up and running again. I however only used it once and today my phone again cannot detect the hr monitor. I guess the battery has died again
tomraven is offline Reply With Quote
09-11-2012, 23:41   #50
diegoroma

same battery life problem ...
I want report my experience with Polar Wearlink Bluetooth.
I use it with Sport Tracker on a Samsung Galaxy SCL i9003.
And I obtain just a few hours of proper operation, just like other people here in the forum.

To be honest, I was actually really surprised about the life time that was claimed on the Polar's manual:
150 hours with a cr2025 using a Bluetooth radio link! Wow! I am an electronic engineer and I use these kind of technologies on my designs every days....

I knew that BT v2.0 was not suitable for low power applications and I was really curious to see if the Polar could keep the promise about battery life. But unfortunately it could not.

So I took the Polar Wearlink on the laboratory, disassembled it and connected it to an instrument to
measure the current consumption profile during the
heart monitoring activity.

As I would have expected, I measured an AVERAGE
current of 10 mA, with PEAKS of 40 mA for almost 1 second every 4 seconds.

A typical CR2025 has 160 mAh.
This means that we could theoretically expect 16 hours max of battery life at an average of 10 mA.
But coin lithium batteries are not designed to deliver high currents and the 40 mA peaks
make the voltage drops below the required voltage of the circuit much much earlier than 16 hours. As demonstrated.

This is what happens with my Samsung i9003 that is very very similar to the i9000 that Polar claims to be compatible.
But I hope to make soon a similar test using an i9000 (a friend of mine has got one).

I think I am going to attach a pair of AAA battery (1000 mAh) wired to the circuit and sticked outside the device enclosure. It is not an elegant and comfortable solution but is the only way to reach 100 hours real.

Last edited by diegoroma : 09-11-2012 at 23:59.
diegoroma is offline Reply With Quote