01-11-2016, 19:13   #21
Freekick123

Originally Posted by Gowyn View Post
I've had mine for a couple of months now and to be be quite honest I don't like it!
The problem I had was the Balance doesn't take into account calories in. So if my body requires 200 less calories a day to lose weight and I eat 200 calories less, balance doesn't know that and still wants you to burn more and makes an impossible to reach goal. It only goes by your weight, so again if you burn enough to reach 100% and your weight goes up, it just tells you it just tells you to burn more by increasing your daily goal. I've been using MyFitness Pal and only using the scale to track my weight with a link to MFP. Then I let MFP do the math for calories in/out. When I first got my Balance I pretty much ignored the Polar Daily Goal. Consequently, a good day was only 40%, but I was slowly losing weight and getting fitter.
Powertap C1 power meter
iPhone 7 Plus
Specialized Roubaix 2010
Kinetic Rock and Roll Trainer, Kinetic InRide
Sufferfest training videos
Balance Scale
Freekick123 is offline Reply With Quote
02-11-2016, 11:49   #22
Gowyn

Originally Posted by Freekick123 View Post
The problem I had was the Balance doesn't take into account calories in. So if my body requires 200 less calories a day to lose weight and I eat 200 calories less, balance doesn't know that and still wants you to burn more and makes an impossible to reach goal. It only goes by your weight, so again if you burn enough to reach 100% and your weight goes up, it just tells you it just tells you to burn more by increasing your daily goal. I've been using MyFitness Pal and only using the scale to track my weight with a link to MFP. Then I let MFP do the math for calories in/out. When I first got my Balance I pretty much ignored the Polar Daily Goal. Consequently, a good day was only 40%, but I was slowly losing weight and getting fitter.
Kind off defeats the purpose of the Balance if we have to do this.

One of the main reasons I bought it was for the online Weight program. It really needs to be updated.

The manual says you can adjust your weight goal but not true, you have to cancel the current program and start a new one.

And of course yesterday I went to sync with my watch. Nope, had to reset the scale. This morning went to sync with my watch and of course my watch went looking for Flowsync on my phone.

Bluetooth is a bad idea!
Gowyn is offline Reply With Quote
02-11-2016, 12:47   #23
wildsau2710

Originally Posted by Gowyn View Post
Kind off defeats the purpose of the Balance if we have to do this.

One of the main reasons I bought it was for the online Weight program. It really needs to be updated.

The manual says you can adjust your weight goal but not true, you have to cancel the current program and start a new one.

And of course yesterday I went to sync with my watch. Nope, had to reset the scale. This morning went to sync with my watch and of course my watch went looking for Flowsync on my phone.

Bluetooth is a bad idea!
For the problems with syncing: I never had problems with syncing when doing the following:
1. Sync via Watch: Turn of Bluetooth on the phone (otherwise it might happen that the watch syncs with the phone and not with the scale), step on the scale, when weight is shown, Hold the Back Button and start syncing
2. Or Sync via Phone: Step on the scale, when weight is shown, start flow app, got to the balance tab and press the "Add weight Button" (upper right corner).

From my experience with the program, it is working and takes to calories intake into account (indirectly via your weight). Basically it has three variables, your burnt calories (calculate from your activity and training), your weight (and your changes in weight) and calculated from that your calories intake. Basically if the system thinks you are burning 3000kcals and if you are gaining weight then you must be eating more than 3000kcals.

Since loosing weight means eating less calories than burning, the program calculates from your weight goal and your other parameters the energy deficit you need to achieve your goal in the time. This deficit is then divided into 40% percent more activity and 60% less eating.

And this is the point where it gets nasty when you start first with the balance scale. Normally when you get the scale and start with the program, the program does not know anything about your weight development history and I think therefore it assumes that your current activity level is just sufficient enough to hold your weight. This means that 40% of the energy deficit are added to your current activity level and this can be a lot if you are already very active and if you remember that 1 hour of running are just about 600kcals or so...

But that is only the starting point. While you are using the program it is calibrating itself (therefore it is recommend to take your weight on a daily basis). It compares your activity and your weight progress and adapts the goals. So if you consequently only achieve 40% of the activity goal, while still loosing weight it will reduce the activity goal step by step.

This was the situation for me. When I got my balance scale I've been already in a process of loosing weight (from 92 down to 82kg in a year, while running 3-5 times a week for at least 45 minutes each). When I got the scale and set a goal of 75, it suggested my a ridicules high activity level (I think it was 1 additional hour running a day), but it adapted quite quickly to reasonable values (I think two weeks or so).

But in the end for loosing weight it is crucial not just to increase activity but also to control and reduce your calories intake (you can easily eat much more than you can burn by activity 1 bar of chocolate = 1 hour running).

Last edited by wildsau2710 : 02-11-2016 at 12:50.
wildsau2710 is offline Reply With Quote
03-11-2016, 10:41   #24
Gowyn

Originally Posted by wildsau2710 View Post

From my experience with the program, it is working and takes to calories intake into account (indirectly via your weight). Basically it has three variables, your burnt calories (calculate from your activity and training), your weight (and your changes in weight) and calculated from that your calories intake. Basically if the system thinks you are burning 3000kcals and if you are gaining weight then you must be eating more than 3000kcals.

Since loosing weight means eating less calories than burning, the program calculates from your weight goal and your other parameters the energy deficit you need to achieve your goal in the time. This deficit is then divided into 40% percent more activity and 60% less eating.

And this is the point where it gets nasty when you start first with the balance scale. Normally when you get the scale and start with the program, the program does not know anything about your weight development history and I think therefore it assumes that your current activity level is just sufficient enough to hold your weight. This means that 40% of the energy deficit are added to your current activity level and this can be a lot if you are already very active and if you remember that 1 hour of running are just about 600kcals or so...

But that is only the starting point. While you are using the program it is calibrating itself (therefore it is recommend to take your weight on a daily basis). It compares your activity and your weight progress and adapts the goals. So if you consequently only achieve 40% of the activity goal, while still loosing weight it will reduce the activity goal step by step.

This was the situation for me. When I got my balance scale I've been already in a process of loosing weight (from 92 down to 82kg in a year, while running 3-5 times a week for at least 45 minutes each). When I got the scale and set a goal of 75, it suggested my a ridicules high activity level (I think it was 1 additional hour running a day), but it adapted quite quickly to reasonable values (I think two weeks or so).

But in the end for loosing weight it is crucial not just to increase activity but also to control and reduce your calories intake (you can easily eat much more than you can burn by activity 1 bar of chocolate = 1 hour running).

Completely agree with your assessment, this is why I'm going to continue to try to work with it for another month or so.

Actually a very good description of how the system works, I wish Polar had done such a good job helping people understand.

It's an odd feeling weighing yourself daily, past advice has always been once a week.

Last edited by Gowyn : 03-11-2016 at 10:49.
03-11-2016, 10:43   #25
Gowyn

For the problems with syncing: I never had problems with syncing when doing the following:
1. Sync via Watch: Turn of Bluetooth on the phone (otherwise it might happen that the watch syncs with the phone and not with the scale), step on the scale, when weight is shown, Hold the Back Button and start syncing
2. Or Sync via Phone: Step on the scale, when weight is shown, start flow app, got to the balance tab and press the "Add weight Button" (upper right corner).
This is the part where I feel Polar dropped the ball. Bluetooth was a poor choice for this unit.

I actually do the above but it really is inconvenient.
08-11-2016, 07:26   #26
Sumsor

I have returned my Polar Balance Scale now due to incorrect weight measurements when first stepping on the scales. Usually it would display a weight of up to 1kg more during the first attempt and then drop back during the second attempt. Also always found the weight displayed a bit on the high side? Could have been my particular scale though.
I always had problems pairing with my V800, worked about 50% of the time, never had any problems with my mobile phone though.
I've set my target about a month ago to lose 5.9kg in 10 weeks, after returning the scale I've continued to record my weight manually in the diary.
Have always been well within of my target, just at the end of the green scale-sometimes going into the blue zone. So far the program hasn't changed my daily activity level at all. Still need to run 2.5hrs per day to achieve my 100% goal.
I used to train 12-15hrs per week a few years back, then started working too much and stopped training. Have been back at it for about four months now and although in reasonable good shape, I still find it hard to end the week at 100%, or to keep the recovery bar in the balanced status.
Now this is where the motivational factor of being able to achieve 100% comes in, when using the program and actually losing more weight than your target, it should be reasonable easy to achieve the 100%. Of course this one number is not everything, but it kind of dampens your positive outlook of actually losing weight.
If somebody was just on the brink of staying on target, it would be a great motivator to go for an extra walk and boost your activity another 5 or 10% to achieve the target instead of ending the day on 25% anyway.
Love the idea and balance part of the flow website, could be a great tool if tweaked a bit to make the activity goal more achievable.
That being said, maybe it works better for others?

Sumsor
Sumsor is offline Reply With Quote
05-12-2017, 22:09   #27
ribogushter

A bit off-topic, but why can't we use another scale? Why does it have to be Polar? I have a Withings Body Cardio that cost almost $200 when I bought it. Now I have to go and get another one? Come on... If not a direct sync, can't they do it through Google Fit, or through MFP...
ribogushter is offline Reply With Quote