20-01-2017, 05:59   #1
Le6n

Polar M200
I didn't find thread dedicated to Polar's newbie - M200. Any idea when it will be added? Would be fine to discuss some things...

Previously used:
Pebble 2 HR
FitBit Charge HR
Le6n is offline Reply With Quote
06-03-2017, 19:58   #2
Le6n

Polar M200 suggestions
After few weeks of wearing I have few suggestions:
- some button lockout will be fine (maybe long push of both buttons at the same time), because when I am doing bodybuilding workouts, I am always pushing the buttons with my glove edges
- adding possibility of more alarms will be very helpful (I need at least two different alarms - for workdays and weekend), I can believe people have even more (food time, pills time etc...)
​ - possibility of filtering smart notifications (turn on/off some notifications on the watch but let them pop-up on phone) will be nice too (for example I want only calendar events, reminders and SMS to be displayed on the watches, but I want other social networks on my phone)

Thank you

Previously used:
Pebble 2 HR
FitBit Charge HR
07-03-2018, 08:13   #3
Le6n

M200: Summary One Year Later
It's more than year since I've joined POLAR community after buying their M200 watches. I was very happy with my new watches, but had several questions and ideas. So I started this thread hoping that someone will notice and maybe will get some feedback. I was hoping that my device will get some firmware updates, that will make the product better, more versatile, more personal.

Sadly, I must say nothing happened at all. I was using M200 very intensive, I've spent more than year with it on my wrist 24/7, doing my workouts daily, taking showers with it, sleeping, waking up - simply I lived my life together with my M200.

The watches worked very well for all the time, I still have several issues, that could take some improvements (​and some of them simply can't be such problem to fix it).

- ​MISSING BUTTON LOCKOUT feature is big problem for all people, who do any sport with wrist bending - while performing my bodybuilding workouts, I am always pushing the buttons with my gloves and pausing my training again and again
- ONLY ONE ALARM FEATURE is another problem for people who wants to use M200 24/7 - there is no possibility to set more than one alarm and I still can't get the idea of this restriction
- VERY BASIC NOTIFICATION FILTERING is pretty annoying - you just can to turn notifications ON or OFF generally, can't select what to display on watches and what not; that's very odd
- NO WATCHFACE CHANGING is another fail as personal customization is very popular even on sportbands - people love to change the look, or style of watch according to situation, customize the elements; can't understand this, if there is possibility to change the straps to match your style and situation why not add several watchfaces from digital to analog, from stylish to sporty...
- NO CONTINUOUS HEART RATE MEASURING - not such problem at the beginning, but as you continue using the M200 you will be missing the daily HR statistics; I know it's about optimizing battery usage, but even small Fitbit Charge HR can measure your HR 24/7 and the battery will last for 4-6 days
- ORIGINAL BLACK STRAP I've got with my watches is made of hard rubber, what makes it not so comfortable - putting your watches on and off is pain in the ass; I've purchased white strap from eBay and it was totally different - rubber is very soft, great to wear and operate - WTF?
- PLASTIC BODY of the watch seems to be not problem for runners, but if you do any workouts in the gym, your watches may be in danger; I've found and am still using display protector (started with tempered glass, but it breaks apart after any impact, so now I am using protection foil) to prevent plastic body from scratching

After one year of continouous wearing the watches, I consider it as very good gadget, but not for everyone. If you are runner and do not have need for any interactions with your phone through watch, if you don't care about continouous HR measuring, if you don't care about styling your watches, if you are not mad for updates and adding new features to it, it's great watches. But if you prefer live product with possibility of changing it with new features or accessories, if you need more smart features, if you're looking for more durable product, if you want to monitor your health and body talk, probably M200 is not for you.

M200 has some great features - it has Polar wrist Heart Rate monitor (and it is very accurate), integrated GPS for outdoor activites, 24/ activity monitor (but not 24/7 HR monitor), it's waterproof, has customizable sport profiles, connects to Plar Flow app, can be connected to 3rd party apps...

Every product has some life cycle, it starts with some features and then moves forward with new ones and tries to be better and better. By M200 I have the feeling that this cycle does not work. From the very beginning it looks like dead bug, last firmware update was more than year ago, no new functions, no new accessories, nothing pushes it forward. That makes me very sad and after one year I am giving up on it. We learn all the time, I've started with sport bands, then moved to sport watches and the last year with M200 teached me even more about my own preferences and needs for sport/smart watch. In next weeks and months I will try to find some replacement for it. And I think it won't be from POLAR range.

Previously used:
Pebble 2 HR
FitBit Charge HR
08-03-2018, 07:51   #4
timo_w2s

Nice review Le6n and some good points. However, I'm not sure Polar bother with this forum anymore, so the best place to make them notice your suggestions is via their Facebook page.

I'm surprised the M200 hasn't had any software updates as all my other Polar products seem to get them from time to time. I seem to remember my M400 got a few new features at some point but most of the time I think it's just bug fixes.

By the way, I have also noticed the black strap on the M400 was also quite hard compared with the softer material used for the white and pink versions.