08-04-2015, 10:25   #1
bwallis42

My RC3 is dead
Used it last night for a session on the treadmill. Took it out of my bag at the Gym this morning and the screen is blank, no signs of life can be coaxed from it. I tried a reset (holding all 4 corner buttons down) to no avail. I've had it on charge but nothing happens.

I am the second owner of this watch, I bought it from someone who had received it as a present but didn't have a use for it. It is less than two years old but I don't have a receipt to prove it.

A local repairer will have a look at it and give me a quote to fix it but I suspect this is going to be more than it is worth.

Is there anything else I can try?

I've been using it three or four times a week for the last 14 months. One button cover has come off and half a second one. The usb port has also become a little unreliable.

I haven't mistreated it but it doesn't seem to be very robust.

A bit disappointed at the quality.
bwallis42 is offline Reply With Quote
08-04-2015, 17:39   #2
MusicLaw

Originally Posted by bwallis42 View Post
Used it last night for a session on the treadmill. Took it out of my bag at the Gym this morning and the screen is blank, no signs of life can be coaxed from it. I tried a reset (holding all 4 corner buttons down) to no avail. I've had it on charge but nothing happens.

I am the second owner of this watch, I bought it from someone who had received it as a present but didn't have a use for it. It is less than two years old but I don't have a receipt to prove it.

A local repairer will have a look at it and give me a quote to fix it but I suspect this is going to be more than it is worth.

Is there anything else I can try?

I've been using it three or four times a week for the last 14 months. One button cover has come off and half a second one. The usb port has also become a little unreliable.

I haven't mistreated it but it doesn't seem to be very robust.

A bit disappointed at the quality.
Contact Polar directly via the Support link in the NavBar above.

Warranty is 2 years!

They should stand behind the unit's defective buttons and charging problem.

Also know that not all USB cables are wired identically! Some will not charge nor sync. Only use the cable provided by Polar, or one that has successfully synced and charged the unit previously.

Training Gear:
• RS800CX PTE, CS600, Spd/Cad/G5
on MARIN® Alpine29er
• V800, M400, FT80/G1, H2 SoftStrap, Loop H7/H6
• GALAXY® S4 Active, QUAD LOCK®, Sports Tracker
• SKIER'S EDGE® QS5 BigMtn RPM
• P90X®, GoFit® PowerTube, Weights
• PERFECT® FITNESS AbCarverPro, PushUpV2 & MultiGym
• CAMELBAK®; ERGON® GP5; LUMINA 650; MARS 3
• K2® BOA MACH100; HARBINGER® 1260

• RCX5, RC3 GPS, RCX3, G3, FT60/40/7, F6, FA20, AW200, M71ti
MusicLaw is offline Reply With Quote
16-04-2015, 00:54   #3
bwallis42

Originally Posted by MusicLaw View Post

Warranty is 2 years!

They should stand behind the unit's defective buttons and charging problem.
The RC3 is dead and not worth repairing according the the local polar service centre. They won't replace it under warranty as I am not the original purchaser.

What has happened is that moisture has got into the unit via the USB charging port. I've never worn it in water or even in heavy rain but like most people I do sweat quite a bit while out on a longer run, particularly in the warmer weather. This is what has got into the unit.

I am not impressed by the quality. This is an obvious flaw in the design. The little cover does not reliably waterproof the connector.

I had a look at the specs of the M400 as a replacement but it also has a micro-usb port for charging so for me that is a show stopper.

I dont think I'll get another polar device, time to try something different, maybe I can get one that is actually waterproof?

Very disappointed with this device. It should have lasted longer than the 14 months I was using it.
bwallis42 is offline Reply With Quote
31-07-2015, 17:00   #4
Lentin

Almost every day I go out for running, when I'm back at home I use some paper to absorb as much moisture as possible from the USB connector.
As you say, I do sweat a lot. I don't think it's well designed at all.
Fingers crossed.
06-08-2015, 01:40   #5
frankis5

Sorry to hear about your RC3. I had the same problem with the buttons and had them replaced under warranty. The USB cover is definitely not sweat prrof and moisture gets in there quite easily. To be honest, I'm surprised mine has lasted this long as it gets filled with orangy oxidation. any usb cable I stick in there comes with orange crap on it.

In comparison, the m400 usb port is very finicky. The port on the m400 is actually waterproof as you can swim with it, but mine had the port crap out on it so that it doesn't charge or connect to the computer. I sent it to get fixed under warranty and I'm hoping they've figured out a different part for this is a lot of people are having similar issues with the m400 usb port also.
frankis5 is offline Reply With Quote