11-04-2010, 23:46   #1
crosmr

Intermittent power readings
I have been using the power meter for 12 months now - unfortunately on every ride I get periods (sometimes long, sometimes short) of no power reading and therefore also no cadence reading. This is very annoying. Since it works from time to time I think the unit is installed correctly, but for some reason it drops out regularly.

Any suggestions on how to fix this problem?
crosmr is offline Reply With Quote
28-04-2010, 16:48   #2
Parnass

We need to get used to this...!
Hopless some times it destroys my training. I have never got a credible answer. Nowdays, my power unit is in Polar for problem solving... I have got two of them now. The first is - still - working faultlessly... I gues it has to do with the quality or tolerances, I don't know anymore...
Parnass is offline Reply With Quote
30-04-2011, 01:14   #3
RitB

I am having intermittent power readings also.

I looked through both the CS600 and the CS600X forums and there are quite a few threads regarding intermittent power readings.

It would be nice if all the information was consolidated. Based on the various threads it seems that some units are defective, some are affected by rough roads, sometimes batteries need to be replaced and sometimes the unit can be reset by disconnecting and reconnecting the power cable.

Could the moderator respond with guidelines when the power unit should be returned for service and when the power unit is OK and needs to be reset or batteries changed?
RitB is offline Reply With Quote
04-05-2011, 14:32   #4
Main User

Irregular zero reading may be caused by temporary electromagnetic interference in your current surroundings.
Disturbance may occur near microwave ovens and
computers. Also WLAN base stations may cause
interference when training with Polar Power Output
Sensor W.I.N.D. To avoid erratic reading or misbehaviors,
move away from possible sources of disturbance.
Frame material may affect the transmission range.

Troubleshooting Power Signal Reception

If these do not help, please, contact a Polar Service Center.

Br, Jaana
moderator is offline Reply With Quote
04-05-2011, 17:04   #5
MCorn

Originally Posted by moderator View Post
Irregular zero reading may be caused by temporary electromagnetic interference in your current surroundings.
Disturbance may occur near microwave ovens and
computers. Also WLAN base stations may cause
interference when training with Polar Power Output
Sensor W.I.N.D. To avoid erratic reading or misbehaviors,
move away from possible sources of disturbance.
Frame material may affect the transmission range.

Troubleshooting Power Signal Reception

If these do not help, please, contact a Polar Service Center.

Br, Jaana
In my experience, intermittent power readings is a sign the unit is going to fail. I have 2 CS600's with power and have had 4 failures. 1 was DOA when new and the others failed from water intrusion. In addition, the electrical contact design inside the sensor is quite poor and lends itself to becoming intermittent. I have only rarely had intermittent problems caused by external interference. I do not know what frame materials are likely to cause this problem.
MCorn is offline Reply With Quote