25-01-2009, 16:41   #1
ChrisNoland

PC Coach Replacement
All,

I have been a long time PC Coach user and polar user... I just got the RS800CX and it seems PC Coach is no longer under development

I really like the build in training plans (I have a bunch of them) and I have found some of the download plans... but they are for a short period of time (10 weeks) and don't seem to be built to your personal capabilties

So.... Questions for the group

1. Does anyone know if anything is being done with PC Coach

2. Assuming PC coach is dead... any ideas for replacing the ability to schedule a training plan and make adjustments along the way. PT5 seems to have some of this capabilities but not all

The nice thing about PC coach is it scheduled the work outs based upon my inputs and not just a canned schedule

Thoughts and/or suggestions would be great

Thanks

Chris
ChrisNoland is offline Reply With Quote
30-01-2009, 19:49   #2
ChrisNoland

no comments from the group? am I the only one that is using this software still?
02-02-2009, 11:11   #3
mico

Originally Posted by ChrisNoland View Post
All,

I have been a long time PC Coach user and polar user... I just got the RS800CX and it seems PC Coach is no longer under development

I really like the build in training plans (I have a bunch of them) and I have found some of the download plans... but they are for a short period of time (10 weeks) and don't seem to be built to your personal capabilties

So.... Questions for the group

1. Does anyone know if anything is being done with PC Coach

2. Assuming PC coach is dead... any ideas for replacing the ability to schedule a training plan and make adjustments along the way. PT5 seems to have some of this capabilities but not all

The nice thing about PC coach is it scheduled the work outs based upon my inputs and not just a canned schedule

Thoughts and/or suggestions would be great

Thanks

Chris
Hi,

Please see PC Coach Light SW support. We offer ProTrainer 5 for RS800CX.

BR,
mico
mico is offline Reply With Quote
05-02-2009, 13:40   #4
ChrisNoland

Built in training Addin?
Mico,

I have installed PT5. Seems like a very cool program but lacks the ability to build proactive training plans like PC Coach (not the light version) and make changes on a week by week basis based upon performance, schedule changes, etc.

Are there any plans to add this feature? Seems Biometrics is out of business since their phones are disconnected and my emails have gone unanswered

Thanks

Chris

Last edited by ChrisNoland : 05-02-2009 at 14:29.
06-02-2009, 06:14   #5
mico

Originally Posted by ChrisNoland View Post
Mico,

I have installed PT5. Seems like a very cool program but lacks the ability to build proactive training plans like PC Coach (not the light version) and make changes on a week by week basis based upon performance, schedule changes, etc.

Are there any plans to add this feature? Seems Biometrics is out of business since their phones are disconnected and my emails have gone unanswered

Thanks

Chris
Hi Chris,
I'm afraid I'm not familiar with PC Coach so I'm not sure as to what type of planning options it has. You can plan up to 12 phases in one exercise in the ProTrainer (in PT5 Help you can find instructions under "How to plan exercise targets" and "How to plan exercise targets more detailed". You can import ("How to import training plan") and export ("How to export training plan") training plans. Exporting/Importing allows you to share longer plans with your friends, for instance. You can also download ready made training plans from the training plan bank.

See also How to create training plans

BR,
mico
mico is offline Reply With Quote
22-11-2009, 20:51   #6
Bren66

PC Coach
Originally Posted by mico View Post
Hi Chris,
I'm afraid I'm not familiar with PC Coach so I'm not sure as to what type of planning options it has. You can plan up to 12 phases in one exercise in the ProTrainer (in PT5 Help you can find instructions under "How to plan exercise targets" and "How to plan exercise targets more detailed". You can import ("How to import training plan") and export ("How to export training plan") training plans. Exporting/Importing allows you to share longer plans with your friends, for instance. You can also download ready made training plans from the training plan bank.

See also How to create training plans

BR,
mico
Hi Chris,
I stumbled across PC Coach on the web, & it seems just the sort of thing I'm looking for. But as it appears to be no longer supported, do you know of any training programs, built on similar periodisations? Anything you can recomend?
Thanks, Brendan
Bren66 is offline Reply With Quote
25-11-2009, 20:11   #7
cathyc

I used PC Coach from about 1999 to 2006. I'm also one who had lots of different PC Coach plans/plug-ins. I had a live coach for a year and a half. For the last year+, I've been using trainingpeaks online version. If you want more control, trainingpeaks allows more customization than PC Coach, but you can also use the yearly plan it generates as is and use Virtual Coach to plan your weekly workouts. It's similar to PC Coach except you decide what days you'll do suggested workouts.

Note: the free version of training peaks does not have the annual training plan or coaching feature.

Hope that helps.
cathyc is offline Reply With Quote
25-11-2009, 21:19   #8
Bren66

Thanks for the reply...What did you think of the training plan that PC Coach produced? Too hard, too easy, just right.... or did it become right when you put feedback in?
Bren66 is offline Reply With Quote
25-11-2009, 22:34   #9
cathyc

Originally Posted by Bren66 View Post
Thanks for the reply...What did you think of the training plan that PC Coach produced? Too hard, too easy, just right.... or did it become right when you put feedback in?
I usually played around with the set-up (I'd set up several plans with the interview and delete them) until it seemed right. PC Coach usually started too easy when I'd been training a lot prior to starting a plan. I didn't like that there wasn't a good option for continuing after finishing a plan. Also, the few times that the training was too much it seemed the program was slow to react (or didn't change at all) when I responded to the weekly interview questions to indicate that I was feeling overtrained.

One reason that I stopped using PC Coach and tried a live-person coach, is because I got injured a few times when following a static PC Coach plan. I needed something/someone that could tailor my ongoing training to my feedback. I also didn't like the PC Coach limit of training for a single event. Both a coach and TrainingPeaks can handle multiple events.

TrainingPeaks' ATP and Virtual Coach give me parameters within which I can adjust my own training. If you use TrainingPeaks I'd recommend doing some reading if you don't already have a background in training theory. Joe Friel's Total Heart Rate Training is a good start. I also like Carmichael's, The Ultimate Ride for goal setting and thinking about a yearly plan. Joe Friel's blog is also a good resource.
cathyc is offline Reply With Quote