20-01-2014, 13:37   #1
marcodj

S3+ stride and cadence info
Hi,

I got a new S3+ from my girlfriend to use with my RC3 GPS. Up to this point i was using the GPS to measure both distance and pace, but now that i have the footpod I believe it takes over the GPS for both measures.

My question is: How can I use the new info it gives me to improve my runs? I now have my Stride Lenght and Avg cadence... what should i be targeting for them? I had a Long Run session yesterday (I'm using PPT's Endurance Program) all in SZ2 and my avg cadence was 86 and stride lenght of 75cm.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
marcodj is offline Reply With Quote
22-01-2014, 06:24   #2
Main User

Originally Posted by marcodj View Post
Hi,

I got a new S3+ from my girlfriend to use with my RC3 GPS. Up to this point i was using the GPS to measure both distance and pace, but now that i have the footpod I believe it takes over the GPS for both measures.

My question is: How can I use the new info it gives me to improve my runs? I now have my Stride Lenght and Avg cadence... what should i be targeting for them? I had a Long Run session yesterday (I'm using PPT's Endurance Program) all in SZ2 and my avg cadence was 86 and stride lenght of 75cm.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Have a read how you can use cadence and stride length data in your training. //kate
moderator is offline Reply With Quote
22-01-2014, 15:55   #3
marcodj

This was just was i was looking for, Thanks a lot!
marcodj is offline Reply With Quote
21-03-2014, 07:29   #4
Koen87

I've just ordered my S+ sensor for the RC3 GPS and I'm baffled by the idea of only be able to using either the footpad or gps. Is this truly the case or is them some method to use both? Otherwise I can send the unit back right away...
Koen87 is offline Reply With Quote
21-03-2014, 09:56   #5
MichaelJSwann

The RC3 will take speed, distance and cadence from the S3+. GPS will be used only for route mapping.

The S3+ needs to be accurately calibrated for your running style. If you calibrate it at one pace and then change, it will need a different calibration.

Previous:
RS300X
M51
Favor
MichaelJSwann is offline Reply With Quote
21-03-2014, 10:11   #6
Koen87

Originally Posted by MichaelJSwann View Post
The RC3 will take speed, distance and cadence from the S3+. GPS will be used only for route mapping.

The S3+ needs to be accurately calibrated for your running style. If you calibrate it at one pace and then change, it will need a different calibration.
'change' in what way? pace or running style?
21-03-2014, 10:25   #7
MichaelJSwann

Originally Posted by Koen87 View Post
'change' in what way? pace or running style?
Both, I believe.

Previous:
RS300X
M51
Favor
MichaelJSwann is offline Reply With Quote
21-03-2014, 10:32   #8
Koen87

Originally Posted by MichaelJSwann View Post
Both, I believe.
Hmm ok. Also due to the fact that you can't see your strides (live) hasn't made me change my mind. (Somehow I confused this stride sensor with the way that Garmin handles stride information).

Ps; thanks for the info Michael.
21-03-2014, 11:34   #9
wildsau2710

I'm using the RC3 GPS & S3+ Stride sensor together for quite a while. My experience is:

a) It has to be calibrated for your running style and shoes!!!. If you change this, you have to recalibrate it. I do the calibration for mine during my 60% of the training typical runs (Basic Run, one hour, 8k ,75% HRmax). Once calibrated it works fine.

b) I'm doing my runs in quite different terrains (forrest, dirt roads, flat street, hilly terrain). I upload all my run to PPT and to Strava. In PPT the distance is calculated from the Stride-Sensor, in STRAVA from GPS data. The difference between the values is normally somewhere around a 100 meters for a 10k run. But keep in mind GPS measured tracks have an error, too (calculation is taking "shortcuts" between two waypoints). When I run the same tracks (with different paces, intervals etc.) the stride sensor distance is consistently the same (within a range) whereas the GPS distance is not so consistent.

c) recently I did a 10k run on a officially measured track, the GPS calculated distance was 9700, the "Stride-Sensor" distance was 10.050m. (And I did no recalibration of the stride sensor for my race pace)

d) From my view the advantages of using Stride-Sensor data over the GPS data (and that's why it the chosen default behaviour of Polar, I think):
- its more reliable, GPS Signals often get inaccurate if running in cities with high building or dense forest.
- You get instant pace & speed data. When I only had the GPS pace it was quite hard to run for a specific pace because it was always quite jumpy, with the stride sensor the pace reacts more instantly.
- If you do for example track session (400m circles) GPS distance will be completely messed up, while stride sensor distance is still ok.

e) And finally, yes I am missing the instant cadence view during the training, too.

Hope this helps!
wildsau2710 is offline Reply With Quote
21-03-2014, 11:41   #10
wildsau2710

I thought the same first and the learned better...
Originally Posted by Koen87 View Post
I've just ordered my S+ sensor for the RC3 GPS and I'm baffled by the idea of only be able to using either the footpad or gps. Is this truly the case or is them some method to use both? Otherwise I can send the unit back right away...
BTW: When I got my S3+ and realized that takes the S3+ and not the GPS data I was quite frustrated and thought like you. After using it for almost a year, I am quite happy that it is this way and not the other (for the reasons see my last post).
wildsau2710 is offline Reply With Quote