We announced earlier that this forum would close 15th December, 2014. However, we have received many requests to continue discussion forum and decided that Polar discussion forum will stay open until further notice - until we have something better to offer you guys.

Please note that this is a Polar user forum, and that:

1. The forum is meant for peer support of Polar products and for Polar users sharing their good practices and tips for training.
  2. The forum rules, since 2008, state that Polar will not provide technical assistance at this forum. So, to be able to best serve you we encourage you to contact Polar customer care directly with your issue, bug report, or any other feedback. Through direct contact we can provide you a personalized technical guidance and most efficiently share you feedback with Polar product development.
  3. Polar moderation at this forum means e.g. removing of inappropriate posts, banning spammers, and correcting OR removing of erroneous information about Polar products when encountered.

Thanks for observing the above! Be helpful, be considerate, inspire others to get to their goals, and enjoy sharing with the community!

- Polar Team-
(we do listen)

Closed Thread
26-11-2013, 14:37   #1
WooBaub

Clear answer please
From reading these forums it seems some people believe that exercise recorded in Beat transfers into flow and is captured on the Loop for total activity. Personal observation says that is not fully true, it seems some activity credit is given but not as much as if the session was recorded on the Loop with a chest strap.

Would you give a clear answer as to if a session recorded in beat transfers into Flow and is represented in the activity bar and goal completion? If it does why does it not appear to have the same contribution toward activity completion?
27-11-2013, 09:29   #2
Main User

Originally Posted by WooBaub View Post
From reading these forums it seems some people believe that exercise recorded in Beat transfers into flow and is captured on the Loop for total activity. Personal observation says that is not fully true, it seems some activity credit is given but not as much as if the session was recorded on the Loop with a chest strap.

Would you give a clear answer as to if a session recorded in beat transfers into Flow and is represented in the activity bar and goal completion? If it does why does it not appear to have the same contribution toward activity completion?
Hi,
Beat application will give you training data. Loop activity data, as well as training data if you should wear H6 or H7 heart rate sensor. To get daily activity, you'll need to be wearing Loop. If you like, you can wear Loop on your wrist also when you exercise using the Beat app. Hope this helps. //Kate
27-11-2013, 20:37   #3
WooBaub

Thanks but still not clear Kate
Originally Posted by moderator View Post
Hi,
Beat application will give you training data. Loop activity data, as well as training data if you should wear H6 or H7 heart rate sensor. To get daily activity, you'll need to be wearing Loop. If you like, you can wear Loop on your wrist also when you exercise using the Beat app. Hope this helps. //Kate
Kate I am an old man so sorry it still was not clear so I will restate the question.

If I use Beat to record and exercise session will it add to my daily activity as well?
28-11-2013, 07:45   #4
Main User

Kate I am an old man so sorry it still was not clear so I will restate the question.

If I use Beat to record and exercise session will it add to my daily activity as well?
Sorry I wasn't clear. No, Beat sessions are not recorded, or shown as activity data. Activity data comes only from Loop. Do continue to ask if I'm still being unclear //kate
28-11-2013, 13:35   #5
WooBaub

Thanks Kate
Originally Posted by moderator View Post
Sorry I wasn't clear. No, Beat sessions are not recorded, or shown as activity data. Activity data comes only from Loop. Do continue to ask if I'm still being unclear //kate
No that was clear thank you Kate, I appreciate the response.

Now that I am certain of the facts I have to wonder who decided to combine the Beat with Flow for website visibility. It is obvious NOW that from Polar's standpoint that they are two separate products and not intended to have common features so why combine them on a common website. With other "Activity" monitors you can see trends over time as to the various measures like number of steps, stairs etc. but with Loop you cannot instead you do get a website that appears unfinished. If you click on your activity bar you can see a non intuitive version of your day with limited detail and you get a tab for "training" that has no purpose at all and is not intended to. If you only use Loop, as it is a stand alone product, you get a really blank looking calender. You cannot see how the calories accumulate or even a breakdown of the sleep period to see how many times you were restless.

I had high hopes for this product and expected more as it was Polar. This is especially sad because I have spoken so highly of it and Polar before its release based on my previous Polar experiences. I was excited to be able to use a chest strap and have it all combined in one location. I kept checking the Apple store to look for Flow and got excited when it finally came out as a part of Beat since I already used and loved Beat. There were only two things that I wanted in Beat, a load chart and ability to add forecast exercises but I could continue to use PPT. For a day or two was really excited then reality came and I we got a sever bug infestation. Now the problems are almost resolved and I am left with a good product with really poor visibility that was far from ready for release. This was mostly because someone had the bad idea of combining the two Apps (Beat and Flow) for visibility (website) but not integrating them at all with no intention to do that.

My final evaluation is that the item works as advertised but it's advertising was misleading. It did not state the limits of Bluetooth only connecting to one receiver or the inability to work in water. It talks about zones but does not stress that they were different zones than current users are familiar with. An Energy pointer that does not work the same as other Polar products using an energy Pointer. The inability to set your own goals or to track the various measures for trend. A total lack of integration with any other apps and very limited integration even within Polar. The promise of a website of to see your results called Flow, but we got a patch to an existing site.To Polar's credit it did state that is was only compatible with Apple IOS but they have shown a distinct lack of application expertise so don't hold your breath.

Polar needs to get aggressive and invest in IT personnel to get things turned around and publish that they are doing so with timelines of completion.

I will not recommend this product to anyone and will actively discourage them toward it until major web/app changes are made. The whole thing leaves me sad. I used to feel I could endorse Polar with confidence but no longer.

Last edited by WooBaub : 28-11-2013 at 15:13.
29-11-2013, 12:46   #6
Main User

No that was clear thank you Kate, I appreciate the response.

Now that I am certain of the facts I have to wonder who decided to combine the Beat with Flow for website visibility. It is obvious NOW that from Polar's standpoint that they are two separate products and not intended to have common features so why combine them on a common website. With other "Activity" monitors you can see trends over time as to the various measures like number of steps, stairs etc. but with Loop you cannot instead you do get a website that appears unfinished. If you click on your activity bar you can see a non intuitive version of your day with limited detail and you get a tab for "training" that has no purpose at all and is not intended to. If you only use Loop, as it is a stand alone product, you get a really blank looking calender. You cannot see how the calories accumulate or even a breakdown of the sleep period to see how many times you were restless.

I had high hopes for this product and expected more as it was Polar. This is especially sad because I have spoken so highly of it and Polar before its release based on my previous Polar experiences. I was excited to be able to use a chest strap and have it all combined in one location. I kept checking the Apple store to look for Flow and got excited when it finally came out as a part of Beat since I already used and loved Beat. There were only two things that I wanted in Beat, a load chart and ability to add forecast exercises but I could continue to use PPT. For a day or two was really excited then reality came and I we got a sever bug infestation. Now the problems are almost resolved and I am left with a good product with really poor visibility that was far from ready for release. This was mostly because someone had the bad idea of combining the two Apps (Beat and Flow) for visibility (website) but not integrating them at all with no intention to do that.

My final evaluation is that the item works as advertised but it's advertising was misleading. It did not state the limits of Bluetooth only connecting to one receiver or the inability to work in water. It talks about zones but does not stress that they were different zones than current users are familiar with. An Energy pointer that does not work the same as other Polar products using an energy Pointer. The inability to set your own goals or to track the various measures for trend. A total lack of integration with any other apps and very limited integration even within Polar. The promise of a website of to see your results called Flow, but we got a patch to an existing site.To Polar's credit it did state that is was only compatible with Apple IOS but they have shown a distinct lack of application expertise so don't hold your breath.

Polar needs to get aggressive and invest in IT personnel to get things turned around and publish that they are doing so with timelines of completion.

I will not recommend this product to anyone and will actively discourage them toward it until major web/app changes are made. The whole thing leaves me sad. I used to feel I could endorse Polar with confidence but no longer.
Hi,
I'm sad you feel this way The only thing I can say is that we will bring updates to Flow web service and app regularly to improve the Loop experience. The wish to have heart rate data from Loop show in the sport zone data view has been forwarded and there's hope. We don't want Flow to be a service for just one product, which is why it was made compatible for Beat users and the new Loop. In the future we will intro other products there too. Usually marketing concentrates on what a product can do as it's easier to understand things that way than to start listing all the things it cannot do. Bluetooth technology has its limitations and one of them is that the signal doesn't carry far enough immersed in water. But Bluetooth Smart is a standard, which is why we've chosen to use it so that you can use our sensors also with other products that support the same standards. This way developing something for the use of our sensor becomes easier for third party software and product manufacturers and going according to standards is a good thing for all, manufacturers and users, because it allows for more options.

I'll certainly take your feedback further. Verbatim. It shows that you truly care. I hope we'll be able to live up to your expectations as we keep on updating.

//kate
29-11-2013, 14:16   #7
Neil Rosser

Hasn't this been discussed before??
Ok so I see this thread and I think - haven't we covered this before?

Kate you say that activities tracked in Beat do not integrate with Loop. But - in my case (and a few others here as well, now - I think) do the following:

For my bikes and runs, I link my chest strap to my phone/Beat app. I also leave on my Loop. Those discrete Beat-tracked activities show up in my Flow web view, as individual editable activities. And because I have my Loop on during the bikes and runs, that effort expended DURING those bikes and runs helps to retire my daily activity goal.

So - doesn't that accomplish what's being discussed here..?

And - didn't this exact situation already get discussed before, in the forums here? Maybe I'm missing something but I thought we had concluded this scenario.

Hope that helps.
29-11-2013, 14:32   #8
Main User

Originally Posted by Neil Rosser View Post

Kate you say that activities tracked in Beat do not integrate with Loop. But - in my case (and a few others here as well, now - I think) do the following:

For my bikes and runs, I link my chest strap to my phone/Beat app. I also leave on my Loop. Those discrete Beat-tracked activities show up in my Flow web view, as individual editable activities. And because I have my Loop on during the bikes and runs, that effort expended DURING those bikes and runs helps to retire my daily activity goal.

And - didn't this exact situation already get discussed before, in the forums here? Maybe I'm missing something but I thought we had concluded this scenario.

Hope that helps.
Perhaps I missed something, was trying to answer that hr data from loop doesn't populate Sport Zones, but yes.. data from Beat does. If you don't use Beat then you will get an empty sport zone view in the Flow service. Perhaps there's just too much text for me for this Fri afternoon to produce a sensible thought. Thanks for your help. //kate
30-11-2013, 04:38   #9
Deanerh

WooBaub-
Believe me, I understand some your frustrations about the lack of integration and some of the capabilities we were anticipating with the Loop and the accompanying apps.

To clarify a few points based on my experience in the last week or so. I'm not trying to record training sessions with Loop. If I run or do a workout I use the Beat app on my iPhone. I have a BT HR strap that Beat recognizes but the Loop does not. When I sync my Loop with my Flow app, those activities from Beat do count toward my total activity on both my Loop and the Flow app. What I'm not sure about is the calorie count. Steps on the Loop/Flow are not affected by the Beat data since the Beat data does not have step info. So if I do a run, I often have days when my step count is less than the 10,000 goal, but my activity level I over 100% since it's counted my run from Beat. As I've noted on a separate thread I suspect I am getting a double count since the Loop is picking up both the movement during my run and then the Flow app is adding in the data from Beat.

I also would like more breakdown of the data. You mentioned not being able to get better data on your sleep patterns. If you're running the iOS app, after you've synced, you can tap the middle of the circular graph and it will change to a display that shows when during the night the Loop detected non-sleep activity.

Hope some of this helps.
30-11-2013, 17:16   #10
WooBaub

Originally Posted by Neil Rosser View Post

Hope that helps.
Neil I know how you are doing it but the data does not flow over correctly if it does flow over at all. I will do another test but I posted on this earlier and had no response.

http://forum.polar.fi/showthread.php?t=27880

You can test for yourself, leave your loop off and do a HR session in Beat, then sync and see what difference it made to your activity level. I will run this again for myself to be certain.
Closed Thread