22-11-2008, 19:56   #1
ridearoundtheclock

batteries in the CS200(CAD) speed/cadence sensors question
can someone please explain the situation with the batteries inside both speed and cadence sensors for the CS200CAD ?.i recently purchased a 2nd hand bike and a CS200CAD came with the bike and the heart monitor.
basically i cant get the speed and cadence sensors to work no matter how close i put the monitor to them or alter the wheel/pedal magnets even though the heart monitor works fine.
can the batteries in the speed/cadence sensors be changed ?.i cant see how the units actually open to replace the batteries , they look like totally sealed units to me.

any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated .

Last edited by ridearoundtheclock : 22-11-2008 at 19:59.
ridearoundtheclock is offline Reply With Quote
27-12-2008, 17:18   #2
papisays

cold polar response
I am new to this forum. It appears that it is maintained by Polar, but their monitors don't seem to answer questions such as batteries for the sensors, and the manuals don't cover the questions. So, Polar are you there? I too have issues with my input for my spd/distance sensor.

So Polar, what gives? Is there a way for us to check the sensor w/o shipping it somewhere?
papisays is offline Reply With Quote
05-01-2009, 15:21   #3
Eastway82

The batteries are standard type flat ones (CR2032 I think), but you'll have to cut the casing to get the old one out, then glue it back together with epoxy. I've done this successfully a couple of times. The CS sensors are notorious for being a bit wayward - I've had some that will work from metres away, and some that have to be as close as possible to the head unit. I've also had two that have been dead from new and had to be sent back.
Eastway82 is offline Reply With Quote
09-01-2009, 06:39   #4
mico

Originally Posted by papisays View Post
I am new to this forum. It appears that it is maintained by Polar, but their monitors don't seem to answer questions such as batteries for the sensors, and the manuals don't cover the questions. So, Polar are you there? I too have issues with my input for my spd/distance sensor.

So Polar, what gives? Is there a way for us to check the sensor w/o shipping it somewhere?
Hi,

In CS200 sensors you don't have an indication light to check sensor battery status. What you can do is to take the Cycling Computer closer to the sensor while passing the magnet back and forth to see if you get a reading then. A shortened range indicates that the battery is wearing out in the sensor. You cannot replace the battery for the sensors. If the battery is dead, please contact your local retailer to get a new sensor.

As a side note, if you feel you're not getting answers fast enough here at the forum from me or Chris, please remember that we do have many helpdesks (select your country in 'contact us') that are there to give you guidance. The forum is more geared toward you seeking help from the Polar community, to exchange ideas between yourselves, rather than functioning as yet another helpdesk. Thanks for understanding.

BR,
mico
mico is offline Reply With Quote
26-08-2009, 23:15   #5
unclelillo

speed sensor
I read tha manual of the speed sensor and it says battery life is aprox 4500 hours of use; I´ll probably try to crack it open and change battery once it gets drained as those sensors are quite expensive here in Brazil.
unclelillo is offline Reply With Quote
17-02-2010, 07:11   #6
Martinmkd2

Originally Posted by Eastway82 View Post
The batteries are standard type flat ones (CR2032 I think), but you'll have to cut the casing to get the old one out, then glue it back together with epoxy. I've done this successfully a couple of times. The CS sensors are notorious for being a bit wayward - I've had some that will work from metres away, and some that have to be as close as possible to the head unit. I've also had two that have been dead from new and had to be sent back.

Is it possible to get more info on how to open the sensors.
Where to cut with destroying it. Are you cutting thru the groove on the side?
Maybe some pics, or drawing.
Martinmkd2 is offline Reply With Quote
20-05-2010, 20:06   #7
Brian Lewis

You have to cut along the whole casing, or at least halve and pry open with small flathead. See pictures and documentation on this page
http://brianlewis.net/misc/Polar_CS_Sensors/
Brian Lewis is offline Reply With Quote
08-06-2010, 22:24   #8
ShadowDanger

Originally Posted by Brian Lewis View Post
You have to cut along the whole casing, or at least halve and pry open with small flathead. See pictures and documentation on this page
http://brianlewis.net/misc/Polar_CS_Sensors/
You deserve a large Internet Cookie for taking the time and effort to do that, thanks.

Last edited by moderator : 26-07-2010 at 12:17.
ShadowDanger is offline Reply With Quote
22-07-2010, 22:27   #9
Bowie70

Bummer
I bought a cs200cad today. Off course the computer wasn't working. The speed indicator reacted like it was on a grant-ma's bike, we have those a lot in Holland. It took half a minute to react. It stopped giving readings when I was already on a good pint of beer.
The cadance readout wasn't working at all. I figured out that I had to hold the computer next to the cadance responder to get response. My neighbors were asking me what I was doing, I told them that it was a new way to obtain maximum speed by reducing air drag as much as possible.
Since I'm not gonna place my computer on the bidon and I haven't figured out how to get my cranck axe near the handlebar, I'm on my way to buy a new computer from a company that has the slogan “Listen to your costumers” in stead of “Listen to your body”.
Thanks to you who wrote on this forum, I know now that I bought a computer with low batteries in the responder. To get things working I have to buy new responders (probably they also have low batteries, to keep the cash flowing).
Bowie70 is offline Reply With Quote
26-07-2010, 12:22   #10
Main User

If you have just bought the unit and sensors and they are not working despite of following installation instructions, please contact retailer of your Polar product or the local Polar Service Center/distributor. New product should work flawlessly of course.
moderator is offline Reply With Quote