25-10-2012, 21:30   #1
ngraha

HRM compatible with RC3 GPS
Hi,

I am thinking about buying the RC3 GPS - I already have the RS300x and the wearlink hybrid transmitter HRM. I'm hoping I can keep the HRM and use this with the new watch with the integrated GPS rather than have to buy the version with the HRM included. Does anyone know if the RC3 GPS is compatible with the Wearlink hybrid HRM - or would i need to buy the whole lot if i were to upgrade?

Thanks
Nick
ngraha is offline Reply With Quote
26-10-2012, 04:32   #2
MusicLaw

Nick:

You are good to go!

Your Hybrid Chest Transmitter simultaneously sends the 2.4GHz signal required by the RC3 GPS. So you can save a few dollars and go with the lower cost packaged version (if you can find it) of the RC3 GPS which excludes the Chest Transmitter Module and Chest Strap.

Training Gear:

RS800CX PTE, CS600, Spd/Cad/G5 on MARIN® Alpine29er
RCX5, RC3 GPS, FT80/G1, H2 SoftStrap, Loop H7/H6
FLOW & BEAT, GALAXY® S4 Active, QUAD LOCK®
SKIER'S EDGE® QS5 BigMtn RPM
P90X®, GoFit® PowerTube, Weights
PERFECT® FITNESS MultiGym & PushupV2
LUMINA 650 & MARS3 Lights
K2® BOA MACH100 Skates
HARBINGER® 1260 Gloves
CAMELBAK® Packs
ERGON® GP5 Grips
• RCX3, G3, FT60/40/7, F6, FA20, AW200, M71ti
MusicLaw is offline Reply With Quote
26-10-2012, 05:13   #3
MichaelJSwann

The RS300X comes with the standard Wearlink transmitter, not the Wearlink Hybrid.

If you have the standard Wearlink transmitter, it won't work with the RC3 and you will need to buy the version that comes with a H3 transmitter.

The way to tell is if it says Polar Wearlink Coded, you have the standard transmitter and need a new one. If it says Polar Wearlink Hybrid, you are good to go as MusicLaw says.

Just want to make sure you get the right advice.

Previous:
RS300X
M51
Favor
MichaelJSwann is offline Reply With Quote
26-10-2012, 19:10   #4
MusicLaw

Nick:

The "H" series transmitters are the latest versions, as follows:

H1 = Standard WearLink+ Coded Transmitter (5KHz).
H2 = Hybrid WearLink Coded Transmitter (5KHz + 2.4GHz).
H3 = WearLink WIND Coded Transmitter (2.4GHz).

Training Gear:

K2® BOA MACH100 Skates
HARBINGER® 1260 Gloves
CAMELBAK® Packs
ERGON® GP5 Grips
24-11-2012, 02:09   #5
hernan_russy

Any compatibility issues with Wearlink Hybrid?
Hi:

Once I knew that my H3 sensor wouldn't work with my gym equipment, I started using a new Wearlink Hybrid sensor (with the soft strap) that I had from my RCX5. It worked just fine for about a month but now I am having occasional bad HR readings (usually low readings). This is not supposed to happen because all the components are new and the RC3 uses WIND (almost interference free) technology. Do you know of any compatibility issues? How can I know what is failing (sensor, unit, strap..?) without getting it serviced?

Thanks in advance.
hernan_russy is offline Reply With Quote
24-11-2012, 02:22   #6
MusicLaw

Originally Posted by hernan_russy View Post
Hi:

Once I knew that my H3 sensor wouldn't work with my gym equipment, I started using a new Wearlink Hybrid sensor (with the soft strap) that I had from my RCX5. It worked just fine for about a month but now I am having occasional bad HR readings (usually low readings). This is not supposed to happen because all the components are new and the RC3 uses WIND (almost interference free) technology. Do you know of any compatibility issues? How can I know what is failing (sensor, unit, strap..?) without getting it serviced?

Thanks in advance.
A very easy first step is to replace the transmitter's battery. Make sure you test any new CR2025 to confirm that it is indeed full and fresh. A fresh CR2025 should test at or above 3.25VDC using a DC voltmeter. An inexpensive consumer grade DC voltmeter is sufficient. I have often found that when the battery voltage gets below 3.10 VDC and especially with frequent and long duration Training Sessions all sorts of problems can begin to appear. From this point it takes very little time for the voltage to fall below 3.00 vdc, at which point you certainly will have errors.

Just because the unit may have been recently received or lightly used, has no correlation on whether the battery may have been threshold to start with.

You'll be amazed how installing a full and fresh battery can remedy all sorts of abnormalities.

Training Gear:

K2® BOA MACH100 Skates
HARBINGER® 1260 Gloves
CAMELBAK® Packs
ERGON® GP5 Grips
24-11-2012, 20:31   #7
hernan_russy

Thank You MusicLaw. Those voltage values will be very easy to check to figure out if there is a problem with the sensor battery. If my problem continues, I will let you know, in case you have another suggestion.
hernan_russy is offline Reply With Quote