01-09-2012, 16:15   #1
Hautajoki

RS800CX IR data transfer system is a blessing to us all! :)
This message is more or less meant to lower my stress level which usually increases when I try to transfer my daily exercise from Polar RS800CX flagship model to my PC. On a plus side I can do it always twice, once to PPT5 and another tome to ppt.com!

I know Polar cannot fix this problem because the whole IR file transfer system is out dated and bad technology. Only fix would basically be that they would finally bring a new model to the market that would replace the current best model. I know that I’m not the only one hoping this.

Anyway, the problem occurs almost every time I try to use the superb USB IR stick with extension cord (delivered by Polar). Sometimes the stick works perfectly, 80 % of the time not. In worst case I’ve been trying the data transfer for about 20 minutes before the magic starts to happen. The stick is not broken because it always works when I do not use the extension cord. I actually have used several sticks and several cords. This happens with all of them. I actually received a new stick + extension cord from Polar when I complained from this (Thank you Polar). The same thing happens with it.

So at the moment the best way is that I stick the stick to my computers “behind” and try to keep the watch steady. Nice way to do it – not stressful at all! I usually get no error in third or fourth time. A lot faster that waiting the stick to wake up with extension cord.

I hope you all had a better day with your data transfer! Mine was not nice at all. Shame really because the product is ok. Except the red button and the wrist band that lasts approximately 6-12 months at a time… But those are other stories to another time.

Polar, please bring a new flagship model to the market with better quality. I almost beg you and offer you free money!

Happy exercises to you all!

PS. The stick just magically woke up! I got my data transferred! Yahoo!
Hautajoki is offline Reply With Quote
03-09-2012, 23:48   #2
Solace

I'm surprised that your use of a USB extension cable is affecting the reliability of your IR data transfers.

Perhaps your computer has a problem with USB power. Try getting a powered USB hub that has at least one port in the right orientation to allow the watch to sit on your desk during transfers.
Solace is offline Reply With Quote
07-09-2012, 14:08   #3
zappa

I can understand your frustration with the IR but...
I have had my RS800 for more than 5 years now and I don't remember a single instance of the IR data transfer failing, except at the very beginning when I was trying to make it work without holding the IR reader pressed to the watch. Really, I am not kidding. I use a generic IR dongle (it's a Belkin - at that time Polar was too stingy to include an IR reader with the RS800) AND an USB extension cable! But I do have to hold the IR reader next to the two small openings at the top of the RS800 during the entire data transfer procedure. I hold both pieces together in one hand. It's not convenient, no doubt, but data transfer works perfectly in both directions all the time.
Originally Posted by Hautajoki View Post
Polar, please bring a new flagship model to the market with better quality. I almost beg you and offer you free money!
Yeah, me too...
zappa is offline Reply With Quote
07-09-2012, 22:06   #4
higginsd

My only issues is when windows puts the port to sleep and won't wake it up again. I pull the IR dongle out then put it in a second USB port and it wakes up again (plugging back into the same port does not always wake it up).

Note that laptops in particular have a function to sleep USB ports. I would advise turning that feature off but there are also times when the communication port turns off and won't start back up automatically.

Cheers
14-09-2012, 15:54   #5
trdjohn

Originally Posted by higginsd View Post
My only issues is when windows puts the port to sleep and won't wake it up again. I pull the IR dongle out then put it in a second USB port and it wakes up again (plugging back into the same port does not always wake it up).

Note that laptops in particular have a function to sleep USB ports. I would advise turning that feature off but there are also times when the communication port turns off and won't start back up automatically.

Cheers
Same exact problem I have w/ the IR stick....after about 10 minutes I've got to unplug the device from the cable, stick it back in and then it'll work. Annoying to say the least.

I did find a setting on WinXP (also in Win7) Control panel --> Devices --> find your IR device...configure maybe the next --> Power Control ---> allow/dis-allow computer to shut down device. I tried to turn off the ability for the computer to shut down the device, but didn't seem to make a difference on my WinXP machine.
trdjohn is offline Reply With Quote
17-09-2012, 10:07   #6
purloiner

No problems here either...
I've been using Polar products for a while now and haven't experienced the problems you've been having.

My first watch was the S810i and I now have the RS800CX PTE10 working just fine.

In fact, to my chagrin, I plugged in the silver IRDA I got with my S810i into a Windows 7 64bit machine and it worked correctly with my RS800CX first time.

I was happy to see it work, because I've read some posts on this forum, which say that the silver version doesn't work on Windows 7 machines, but I cannot confirm this.

I too use USB extension cords, so can't point the finger at them.

Perhaps your extension cord is rubbish or you're not aligning it correctly.

Have you tried another cord or even another PC with reproducible results?
purloiner is offline Reply With Quote
31-07-2013, 11:54   #7
KurtMH

IR Data Transfer a Constant Pain
I cannot agree more with the problems described in this post here. Blaming laptops, PCs, sleeping ports, etc just shows that IR data transfer has brought this product into a dead end.
The constant fiddle (every time the stressful question how will it work today??) to get the IR data transfer going - and also not being interrupted - is a real, real spoiler of this otherwise superb product/package!

IR is now totally outdated technology for such gadgets. When will the new flagship model eventually come, which will "cure" this matter once and for all??
My friend, whose 305 Garmin broke down, asked whether I could recommend the RS800Cx.
No - the IR data transfer is "broken". Don't want him to blame me for his potential suffering.
KurtMH is offline Reply With Quote
28-08-2013, 19:26   #8
RonC

I have big problems with the IRd data transfer as well. I had a S625X HRM previously and it had a sonic type of transfer which was fast and reliable. It also worked with a "TRANSFER UTILITY", which also simplified things. It like to see a return to that type of transfer. This IRd is very unreliable and has resulted in much wasted time.

Is there a transfer utility program available for the RS800CX?
The Ohio State University
USA

Last edited by RonC : 28-08-2013 at 19:35.
RonC is offline Reply With Quote
28-08-2013, 19:40   #9
MusicLaw

One thing Polar has demonstrated over the past several years in their product offerings is a consistent evolution of their syncing methodology.

The SonicLink is likely to remain an ancient relic!

Polar's latest methods: the FlowLink for the FT series models and the DataLink for the RS series models are far more convenient.

The USB cable method for the RC3 GPS is the latest variation and has its fans and dissenters. Although the USB is very fast, it requires fumbling with the cable connector and wrist unit and compromises a fully waterproof design denying the RC3 GPS's design from being usable for swimming. The current drain required by the internal RC3 GPS's internal GPS feature is most likely what necessitated the cabled rechargeable design of the unit.

Only Polar knows what they have in their design plans for future units under R&D.

Sorry to hear that several of you are having problems with your IrDA. I have two RS800CX units and have never encountered problem with the IrDA.

Training Gear:

RS800CX PTE, CS600, Spd/Cad/G5 on MARIN® Alpine29er
RCX5, RC3 GPS, FT80/G1, H2 SoftStrap, Loop H7/H6
POLAR BEAT, GALAXY® S4 Active, QUAD LOCK®
SKIER'S EDGE® QS5 BigMtn RPM
P90X®, GoFit® PowerTube, Weights
PERFECT® FITNESS MultiGym & PushupV2
LUMINA 650 & MARS3 Lights
K2® BOA MACH100 Skates
HARBINGER® 1260 Gloves
CAMELBAK® Packs
ERGON® GP5 Grips
• RCX3, G3, FT60/40/7, F6, FA20, AW200, M71ti
MusicLaw is offline Reply With Quote
29-08-2013, 15:33   #10
RonC

Originally Posted by MusicLaw View Post
One thing Polar has demonstrated over the past several years in their product offerings is a consistent evolution of their syncing methodology.

The SonicLink is likely to remain an ancient relic!

Polar's latest methods: the FlowLink for the FT series models and the DataLink for the RS series models are far more convenient.

The USB cable method for the RC3 GPS is the latest variation and has its fans and dissenters. Although the USB is very fast, it requires fumbling with the cable connector and wrist unit and compromises a fully waterproof design denying the RC3 GPS's design from being usable for swimming. The current drain required by the internal RC3 GPS's internal GPS feature is most likely what necessitated the cabled rechargeable design of the unit.

Only Polar knows what they have in their design plans for future units under R&D.

Sorry to hear that several of you are having problems with your IrDA. I have two RS800CX units and have never encountered problem with the IrDA.

Thank you for the response. It is ok. I can deal with it. Thanks.
The Ohio State University
USA
RonC is offline Reply With Quote