07-08-2012, 14:32   #1
teamccloud

Heart rate monitor not working right
In recent weeks when I've been running, the heart rate on my monitor drops to something like 84 bpm (during a workout, my heart rate is between 154 and 180). I slide the strap on my chest to make sure the unit is on my heart as I run, and it goes back to normal. But then my heart rate frequently drops again. I've tightened the strap, but that hasn't helped. When I work out on an elliptical, I don't have this problem. Any thoughts or advice?
teamccloud is offline Reply With Quote
07-08-2012, 18:22   #2
MusicLaw

Could be any of a number of factors.

Launder the Chest Strap to assure it is thoroughly cleansed.

Sufficiently saturate the sensor strips at the start of your training session.

Assure the strap is snugly fitted around your chest.

The batteries in the Chest Transmitter Module and the FT7 could be getting low. Replacing the batteries with fresh fully charged batteries is never a bad idea.

Training Gear:

RS800CX PTE, CS600, Spd/Cad/G5 on MARIN® Alpine29er
RCX5, RC3 GPS, FT80/G1, H2 SoftStrap, Loop H7/H6
FLOW & BEAT, GALAXY® S4 Active, QUAD LOCK®
SKIER'S EDGE® QS5 BigMtn RPM
P90X®, GoFit® PowerTube, Weights
PERFECT® FITNESS MultiGym & PushupV2
LUMINA 650 & MARS3 Lights
K2® BOA MACH100 Skates
HARBINGER® 1260 Gloves
CAMELBAK® Packs
ERGON® GP5 Grips
• RCX3, G3, FT60/40/7, F6, FA20, AW200, M71ti
MusicLaw is offline Reply With Quote
07-08-2012, 22:37   #3
teamccloud

Thanks! I do wash the strap regularly, so I don't think that's the problem. I'll change the batteries; that seems to be the easiest thing to do.
teamccloud is offline Reply With Quote
08-08-2012, 00:52   #4
MusicLaw

If you have a DC Voltmeter, make sure that the new batteries are actually fresh and at full voltage. A new CR2025 Lithium Coin battery (which is what the Transmitter Module takes) should test at no less than 3.25VDC.

I'm not sure if the FT7 takes the same battery, but it should be in the FT7 User Guide and may be printed or engraved on the battery cover or casing. A 2 Euro coin perfectly fits the contour on the Transmitter Module Battery Hatch. I got one at a local coin store so I would not gouge the plastic.

Training Gear:

K2® BOA MACH100 Skates
HARBINGER® 1260 Gloves
CAMELBAK® Packs
ERGON® GP5 Grips
14-09-2012, 00:12   #5
bear8mm

The FT7 uses a CR1632 battery, the transmitter uses the CR2025.
bear8mm is offline Reply With Quote
18-05-2013, 00:52   #6
Concede

HR monitor stopped working
I got an H7 about 2 weeks ago. I've used it regularly in my workouts with no problems. A few days ago though, it just stopped working. It doesn't register my HR at all & isn't registering with the app.

I tried using it with my wife's strap to make sure that's not the issue. I've gotten it wet and used it same way I always have but it just stopped working at all.

I can only assume I got a bad battery, but I just wanted to see if anyone else has had this issue.

Thanks
Concede is offline Reply With Quote
01-06-2013, 17:52   #7
Walking Man

Originally Posted by MusicLaw View Post
Could be any of a number of factors.

Launder the Chest Strap to assure it is thoroughly cleansed.

Sufficiently saturate the sensor strips at the start of your training session.

Assure the strap is snugly fitted around your chest.

The batteries in the Chest Transmitter Module and the FT7 could be getting low. Replacing the batteries with fresh fully charged batteries is never a bad idea.
I've done all those things, but my FT7 heart rate monitor simply isn't working. Frustrating because, as an earlier poster noted, I was using it regularly for about 4 months before it suddenly stopped in the middle of a workout.

It sometimes gives an error message that reads "check transmitter" but most of the time, the heard rate registers as 0.
Walking Man is offline Reply With Quote
30-08-2013, 12:10   #8
owen61

Same problem with me...
I too have had the same problem.

I bought the FT7 via mail order in May 2013. I used it about 4-5 times at the gym and it was fine. The next time I tried it, I got no heartbeat ("Check the heart rate transmitter"). After some reading, I found the carefully hidden note about how you have to un-snap it from the strap to switch it off or the transmitter keeps transmitting. So I reckoned it was a flat battery.

I swapped the battery and tried it again. It worked for about 2 mins then stopped. I've tried taking it off and wetting it and sometimes it fires up for a minute or two, but then dies again.

How wet does the thing actually have to be? Is it an aquatic device? How tight does the strap need to be? I can breathe - does that mean it is too slack?

Any ideas?
owen61 is offline Reply With Quote
30-08-2013, 18:54   #9
MusicLaw

Originally Posted by owen61 View Post
I too have had the same problem.

I bought the FT7 via mail order in May 2013. I used it about 4-5 times at the gym and it was fine. The next time I tried it, I got no heartbeat ("Check the heart rate transmitter"). After some reading, I found the carefully hidden note about how you have to un-snap it from the strap to switch it off or the transmitter keeps transmitting. So I reckoned it was a flat battery.

I swapped the battery and tried it again. It worked for about 2 mins then stopped. I've tried taking it off and wetting it and sometimes it fires up for a minute or two, but then dies again.

How wet does the thing actually have to be? Is it an aquatic device? How tight does the strap need to be? I can breathe - does that mean it is too slack?

Any ideas?
Did you test the new battery to confirm that it had full voltage (at least 3.25vdc)?

If you purchased from an Authorized Polar dealer you most likely received the Soft Strap which has rubber-like thermally bonded sensor strips which contact your chest. This only needs minimal moistening before use, but still must be worn snugly to assure good contact with your skin! All it requires is hand washing (i.e. while in the shower after workouts).

The predecessor (WearLink+) chest straps had gray mesh sensor strips. If you received the WearLink+ style strap the Sensor strips must be saturated before use! This design must also be machine laundered to keep those gray fabric sensor strips thoroughly cleansed and free from body perspiration, salts, soap deposits, etc.

If still no good, contact Polar directly to get everything remedied under your 2 year warranty. Polar will get you fixed up!

Training Gear:

K2® BOA MACH100 Skates
HARBINGER® 1260 Gloves
CAMELBAK® Packs
ERGON® GP5 Grips
02-09-2013, 08:30   #10
owen61

Originally Posted by MusicLaw View Post
Did you test the new battery to confirm that it had full voltage (at least 3.25vdc)?
Thanks for your reply, however this stuff about the battery is a bit concerning. A CR2025 has a nominal voltage of 3V, so if I test it in the shop before I buy it, and it reads 3.05V or 3.19V or 3.24V or whatever, I have no right to reject it... It could be expensive testing piles of batteries to find one that is >3.25V. And, even if I find one, it doesn't seem like it is going to last very long as it will quit as soon as the voltage dips below 3.25V.

Oh, and in order to use the FT7, I must now posses an expensive voltmeter, apparently
owen61 is offline Reply With Quote