Dear Polar forum users,

On 15th December we'll be closing this discussion forum. But not to worry, our dialog with you can continue on our Facebook wall. There you can hear the latest news, learn about events and campaigns, and share your thoughts with Polar community. If you need assistance on your Polar product, please contact Polar customer care.

Thank you for being active here. You’re the best! We hope to see you on Facebook!

10-01-2012, 10:26   #1
sophrah

no heart rate signal "check heart rate transmitter"
my FT7 hasn't been able to give me a heart rate signal the last couple of days. it says "check heart rate transmitter". i've only had it for 3-4 months so i don't think it's the battery and i clean it often... not sure what else it could be or how i can fix it??
help please..
sophrah is offline Reply With Quote
11-01-2012, 00:14   #2
popcan

Make sure you don't have too much in between the transmitter and your computer/watch. Sometimes, if you're swinging your arm, or have your arm extended away from you, it could be too much distance between the two. Also, make sure your strap is wet enough.

The batteries are not that expensive, and you can change them yourself. Whenever my watch or transmitter starts acting strangely, I change the batteries. That has always worked.
popcan is offline Reply With Quote
11-01-2012, 08:56   #3
Main User

Hi guys,

I'd like to remind how important it is to wash the strap correctly. If it's not rinsed after every use and washed in a washing machine after every fifth use, the electrodes get blocked. It may then show abnormal heart rate readings or nothing as it just doesn't get your heart rate.

More information can be found here.

Br, Jaana
moderator is offline Reply With Quote
12-01-2012, 02:24   #4
Jerryb49

Strap
Mine seems to work better if I don't rinse it after use. And it helps to thoroughly soak the electrodes before running.
12-04-2012, 03:56   #5
Anonymous1878010

Soprah, i totally agree -
Soprah, I bought mine in October and used it for an hour or so a day (maybe 4 times a week) through mid February.
Then I started getting bizarre heart rate readings - like 220!
Or it would stop working...

I clean it, I remove the transmitter. Batteries? For such a short period? I expect more from this company. And I don't recall this information in the care of a polar. It's centered on how to use it.

I am really frustrated, and that's what a lot of people on amazon had to say. I wish I had bbought another version.

Did your resolve itself or did you have to buy new batteries?

I also think that the part about- if your arms are too far away from the transmitter causing problems seems sort of ridiculous! If you are doing almost any activities, your arms will be moving. Never had a problem with that!

Originally Posted by sophrah View Post
my FT7 hasn't been able to give me a heart rate signal the last couple of days. it says "check heart rate transmitter". i've only had it for 3-4 months so i don't think it's the battery and i clean it often... not sure what else it could be or how i can fix it??
help please..
Anonymous1878010 is offline Reply With Quote
15-04-2012, 22:33   #6
frenzyii

On the washing in a machine...we live on a boat and don't always have access to a machine....so whats wrong with just washing by hand with a little dish detergent?

I am now trying electrode gel and it works....I will let you know for how long.
frenzyii is offline Reply With Quote
17-04-2012, 14:54   #7
Main User

Originally Posted by frenzyii View Post
On the washing in a machine...we live on a boat and don't always have access to a machine....so whats wrong with just washing by hand with a little dish detergent?

I am now trying electrode gel and it works....I will let you know for how long.
Hi,
With the gel you'll have to wash the textile strap even more carefully so as not to block the electrodes when the gel dries up into the strap. It's ok to wash the strap by hand as well, just make sure you rinse it thoroughly (the machine usually does a good job rinsing while when doing it by hand, we'll have to have the patience to get rid of all the detergent residue).

All of you in this thread, do remember to remove the sensor from the strap when you're not training. This for two reasons: 1) when the sensor is left snapped into the strap it stays powered up and consumes the battery way faster than estimated, 2) when always having the sensor snapped in, you're bound to develop gunk at the snap contact point, and possibly oxidation which then compromises the connection (and therefore reliable heart rate reading).

For general troubleshooting, have a look if this document would help.

//kate
moderator is offline Reply With Quote
26-05-2012, 19:28   #8
ausearch

Try Vinegar or CLR
I've had this problem, in spite of rinsing and regularly washing the strap.

We have moderately hard water, so I thought Maybe calcium scale was building up in the electrodes over time, and neither rinsing nor washing would remove it.

Tried soaking electrodes in CLR overnight, and that worked.

Better: I put vinegar on electrodes for 30 minutes, and it works fine. Just rinse and use.
ausearch is offline Reply With Quote
02-06-2012, 21:11   #9
popcan

Originally Posted by Anonymous1878010 View Post
Soprah, I bought mine in October and used it for an hour or so a day (maybe 4 times a week) through mid February.
Then I started getting bizarre heart rate readings - like 220!
Or it would stop working...

I clean it, I remove the transmitter. Batteries? For such a short period? I expect more from this company. And I don't recall this information in the care of a polar. It's centered on how to use it.

I am really frustrated, and that's what a lot of people on amazon had to say. I wish I had bbought another version.

Did your resolve itself or did you have to buy new batteries?

I also think that the part about- if your arms are too far away from the transmitter causing problems seems sort of ridiculous! If you are doing almost any activities, your arms will be moving. Never had a problem with that!
It's nice that you've never had problems with your arms moving, or being too far away. Maybe your arms aren't as long as mine? Doesn't mean what I said is ridiculous. You don't have to be rude. If you don't like the product, don't take it out on everyone else.
popcan is offline Reply With Quote
12-08-2012, 14:56   #10
Anonymous136737

Originally Posted by sophrah View Post
help please..
I am experiencing the same problem. Replaced battery in transmitter, did not resolve. Purchased a new strap, still have a problem. Is there a check that can be done at home to check the transmitter before sending for service? My F7 was purchased July 2011. Having this problem within a year is concerning.
Anonymous136737 is offline Reply With Quote