We announced earlier that this forum would close 15th December, 2014. However, we have received many requests to continue discussion forum and decided that Polar discussion forum will stay open until further notice - until we have something better to offer you guys.

Please note that this is a Polar user forum, and that:

1. The forum is meant for peer support of Polar products and for Polar users sharing their good practices and tips for training.
  2. The forum rules, since 2008, state that Polar will not provide technical assistance at this forum. So, to be able to best serve you we encourage you to contact Polar customer care directly with your issue, bug report, or any other feedback. Through direct contact we can provide you a personalized technical guidance and most efficiently share you feedback with Polar product development.
  3. Polar moderation at this forum means e.g. removing of inappropriate posts, banning spammers, and correcting OR removing of erroneous information about Polar products when encountered.

Thanks for observing the above! Be helpful, be considerate, inspire others to get to their goals, and enjoy sharing with the community!

- Polar Team-
(we do listen)

29-04-2011, 22:23   #1
MoleyMoo

ProTrainer 5 with working IrDA on Ubuntu 11.04 with wine
Hi folks,

For anyone who's interested, the latest Ubuntu 11.04 release will run Protrainer with IrDA support with minimal effort to set it up - here's how I got it all working with my Polar gold USB IrDA adapter.

1) Install the wine and irda-utils packages using whichever method you prefer (the easiest way is to search in Ubuntu Software Centre)
2) Find your installer for Protrainer, right click it and choose "Open with Wine Windows program Loader" - run through the setup as you would on windows

Now you can run Protrainer from the shortcut on the desktop. The next step is to get your IrDA adapter set up:

3) As root, edit the file /etc/modprobe.d/irda-utils.conf and add alias irda0 mcs7780 to the end.
4) As root again, edit the file /etc/default/irda-utils, and change the following options:
ENABLE="true"
DEVICE="irda0"
MAX_BAUD_RATE="9600"
5) Reboot.

Note that mcs7780 is the name of the linux kernel module that is used to drive the gold Polar USB IrDA adapter. If you have a different adapter, and its one that linux recognizes, you can substitute the name of the correct module in /etc/modprobe.d/irda-utils.conf above. To find out what the module name is, try opening a terminal and typing lsmod | grep irda

on my machine, I get this result:
irda 185091 1 mcs7780
crc_ccitt 12595 2 mcs7780,irda

If you have something else where it says mcs7780 for me, try that instead.

Best of luck!
MoleyMoo is offline Reply With Quote
02-07-2011, 13:06   #2
jordibardaji

Thanks!!!
I have to say you thanks a lot for your post, i'm waiting for a long time use polar on GNU/linux (ubuntu).

Jordi
jordibardaji is offline Reply With Quote
23-07-2011, 10:18   #3
G r u b

MoleyMoo,

Top tips - worked a treat. Thanks.

However, once the Polar Pro Trainer opens the date / month headers are not visible. Do you know how they can be configured to be visible please?
G r u b is offline Reply With Quote
23-07-2011, 10:21   #4
MoleyMoo

Originally Posted by GruBAGS View Post
MoleyMoo,

Top tips - worked a treat. Thanks.

However, once the Polar Pro Trainer opens the date / month headers are not visible. Do you know how they can be configured to be visible please?
You're welcome

Not sure I follow you regarding the date/month headers - I can see them fine. Could you post a screenshot?
23-07-2011, 10:56   #5
G r u b

I am still a noob when it comes to Linux though, so I anticipate the problem is all mine

Last edited by G r u b : 23-07-2011 at 11:13. Reason: Reduce image to thumbnail
23-07-2011, 11:59   #6
MoleyMoo

Originally Posted by G r u b View Post
I am still a noob when it comes to Linux though, so I anticipate the problem is all mine
Interesting. That's not how it looks on my machine. Does it make a difference when you resize the window? I've noticed that it doesn't seem to do a particularly good job of resizing the fonts for me.
23-07-2011, 12:24   #7
G r u b

If I resize the window by zooming in and only displaying two rows at a time - it displays fine. That is what makes me think it is a setting that I have wrong. The data is there - I just can't see it. I'll show you what I mean with a screen shot.

This is 2 week view only. Anything more and I can't see the day / month text.
Look at the spacing gaps though !! Loads of wasted space.

I am running Linux Mint 11.

Last edited by G r u b : 23-07-2011 at 12:56. Reason: Updated
23-07-2011, 15:00   #8
G r u b

My wine configuration settings don't appear to be accepting the monitor settings. If I manually change them I can make the wine text appear differently. My monitor is currently not auto detected so I wonder if this is the cause of the problem?
23-07-2011, 16:54   #9
MoleyMoo

Originally Posted by G r u b View Post
My wine configuration settings don't appear to be accepting the monitor settings. If I manually change them I can make the wine text appear differently. My monitor is currently not auto detected so I wonder if this is the cause of the problem?
That sounds plausible. I'm no expert on wine, so I can't really give you any advice here
23-07-2011, 17:05   #10
G r u b

No worries and thanks anyway. I have established that my HP monitor is not supported for Linux so I have tried to install the Windows driver using Wine and my display has improved slightly. Good enough to still use.
Cheers.