14-11-2010, 01:12   #1
MusicLaw

FT60 Battery Replacement
Had Low Battery Alert Icon yesterday. See this post: http://forum.polar.fi/showthread.php?t=16334

Two Training Sessions today totaling 3h20min was enough to cause the display to go blank!

Just replaced the battery and all data from the Training Session Files (Today's and all previous Data) was preserved!! I did follow the instructions here on the Forum to only reset the Time and Date, and then Press & Hold the Back Button (lower left).

Just uploaded today's two training session files of data to PPT via FlowLink.

Advise: A 2 Euro Coin exactly fits the curved slot in the back of the FT60 - not a 1 Euro Coin.

As seen in the attached photo of the Original Panasonic battery notice the small metal tab at the 5 o'clock position.

Be very careful when removing the battery not to bend nor damage this very delicate tab. The best method is to use a tiny jewelers screwdriver inserted in the notch visible at the 11 o'clock position in the photo and gently pry the battery loose.

Also attached is a photo of the New Sony battery.

The voltage of the original battery tested at 2.57 volts.
The voltage of the new battery test at 3.18 volts.
Attached Images:
File Type: jpg FT60_OriginalBattery.jpg (74.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg FT60_NewBattery.jpg (73.2 KB, 0 views)

Training Gear:

RS800CX PTE, CS600, Spd/Cad/G5 on MARIN® Alpine29er
RCX5, RC3 GPS, FT80/G1, H2 SoftStrap, Loop H7/H6
FLOW & BEAT, GALAXY® S4 Active, QUAD LOCK®
SKIER'S EDGE® QS5 BigMtn RPM
P90X®, GoFit® PowerTube, Weights
PERFECT® FITNESS MultiGym & PushupV2
LUMINA 650 & MARS3 Lights
K2® BOA MACH100 Skates
HARBINGER® 1260 Gloves
CAMELBAK® Packs
ERGON® GP5 Grips
• RCX3, G3, FT60/40/7, F6, FA20, AW200, M71ti

Last edited by MusicLaw : 08-01-2013 at 04:40. Reason: Improved Visibility of Photos
MusicLaw is offline Reply With Quote
14-11-2010, 01:21   #2
tgalati4

I'll hit you up for that 2-euro coin in 654 hours. So the battery symbol comes up at ~2.57 VDC? That doesn't sound like 15% battery life to me. How does this compare with Polar's specified claim for battery life?
tgalati4 is offline Reply With Quote
16-12-2010, 13:36   #3
allislefttogain

Any other tricks to getting the back to pop off? I haven't tried a 2 Euro coin, but tried a penny/dime/nickle/quarter last night to no avail. I'm wary of scratching the back of my FT60 too much.

I'll see if I can find a 2 Euro coin but otherwise my thought is to go see a jeweler and see if they can loosen it? Bought the battery/battery seal from Polar only to find out that it's a massive pain to change it myself. Love the watch but certainly could do without the battery changing hassle. And have absolutely zero interest in sending it back and being without it.

Mine's been flashing low battery and has even died a few times (once during a run) this week but still had some battery l ife after my workout this morning.

I've only had the HRM for just under 10 months...so much for 2 years of battery life
allislefttogain is offline Reply With Quote
16-12-2010, 21:50   #4
MusicLaw

When I first explored US coins the curvatures didn't match the watch back, so I was reluctant to apply any force. The 2Euro Coin was what I found at a Coin Dealer to fit precisely in the FT60's metal cover slot. Even though someone at Polar told me the 1 Euro was the one to use. The metal back plate didn't suffer any scratching, abrasion nor wear using the 2 Euro coin. I would imagine that Polar as well as a well equipped jewel would have an adjustable multi pronged tool to fit the other dimples in the case to use when opening the battery hatch.

I suppose a great deal depends upon how many total hours of use the watch has been used for training (including RX and TX with the WearLink module) and the Zone Lock enabled, Zone Lock Alarm Volume Setting, and Backlight settings.

I really used mine a great deal during the first 11 months since I had it and I was not at all surprised to find that the battery needed replacing when it did.

I was glad to see that it did display a low battery icon when it did. There was very little safety net left after that point, but at least it didn't just die.

Training Gear:

K2® BOA MACH100 Skates
HARBINGER® 1260 Gloves
CAMELBAK® Packs
ERGON® GP5 Grips
26-02-2011, 05:27   #5
MusicLaw

Originally Posted by tgalati4 View Post
I'll hit you up for that 2-euro coin in 654 hours. So the battery symbol comes up at ~2.57 VDC? That doesn't sound like 15% battery life to me. How does this compare with Polar's specified claim for battery life?
My guess is that the watch starts exhibiting problems when it's battery voltage drops to nearly 3.00 volts. From that point, the unit's current draw on the battery (especially if during a Training Session) likely causes the battery voltage to plummet even more rapidly.

The 2.57 volts reading I discovered only after pulling the battery from a non-responsive watch, after a nearly 3.5 hour set of Training Sessions.

I also just recently noticed that Polar's Product Page Tech Specs for the FT80 (not the FT60) are now showing a Battery Life of 8 months (based on 1 hr/day, 7 days/wk). Obviously, if Training Sessions last for several hours a day, several times a week, battery life will be far shorter than 8 months.

Training Gear:

K2® BOA MACH100 Skates
HARBINGER® 1260 Gloves
CAMELBAK® Packs
ERGON® GP5 Grips
24-04-2012, 19:47   #6
S_Parsons

FT60 AWFUL to get open!
I wish I would have read these posts about battery replacement for FT60. Got the unit for Christmas of 2012. After wacky (incorrect) HR readings in the high 200's, my trainer said my FT60 needed a new battery in HR monitor. NOTHING we tried would open the back. My husband finally managed to get the cover off, but I could really use a replacement battery cover now. Also, nowhere near the battery cover does it state the correct size battery needed. So we got the battery that Batteries Plus said would fit, Husband managed to get cover off just to find out that the battery is wrong. Is the battery number different in Europe? Do any of those numbers on the back actually mean anything???
This whole battery cover thing needs a re-do for the US/non-Euro market. Or send a "plug" or device that can go on a keychain for battery changing. Rather arrogant marketing. I won't be fooled a second time and I am NOT a good advertisement at the gym.
Can one get JUST a replacement cover? Not the whole strap unit, just the cover.
S_Parsons is offline Reply With Quote
25-04-2012, 18:26   #7
MusicLaw

Originally Posted by S_Parsons View Post
I wish I would have read these posts about battery replacement for FT60. <snip> Also, nowhere near the battery cover does it state the correct size battery needed. <snip> Do any of those numbers on the back actually mean anything??? <snip>
Sorry to learn of your frustrations and confusion.

However, you may want to take a second look!

"CR2025" is clearly engraved into the metal battery hatch of my wife's FT60. It appears on the third line of text directly below the coin slot and immediately below "WR 30M". As I recollect the same is true on the Men's FT60 (however, I gave mine to a friend and now use an FT80 which has it printed on the rear of the casing.)

My other Polar gear (RS800CX, Transmitter modules, and RCX5) all shows the battery required right on the battery hatch!

The CR2025 Lithium Coin Battery is a very commonly used size. It is an international designation and is not different based on territory. (The same goes for the CR2032 used in the RS800CX and RCX5.)

Training Gear:

K2® BOA MACH100 Skates
HARBINGER® 1260 Gloves
CAMELBAK® Packs
ERGON® GP5 Grips
17-06-2012, 16:48   #8
MusicLaw

Low Battery
My Wife's FT60 was showing a Low Battery warning when any button was pressed. If no buttons were pressed the screen was blank.

She hadn't used it for several weeks.

The battery voltage had dropped to 2.45VDC. Inserting a new fresh CR2025 tested at 3.31VDC, brought everything back to life!

If you change your own battery, when you restart the watch, only enter the Language, Time and Date values. When the General Settings Screen appears, Press and Hold the lower left back button! This will preserve your prior Totals, Weekly Summaries, Training Files data, and STAR Program configurations.

Training Gear:

K2® BOA MACH100 Skates
HARBINGER® 1260 Gloves
CAMELBAK® Packs
ERGON® GP5 Grips
24-06-2012, 21:34   #9
OneOleMan

Looking at the back of my FT60 it looks like it was set up for a spanner wrench to be used to remove it. Mine also shows battery number CR 2025. Sort of small for these old eyes but it's there.
OneOleMan is offline Reply With Quote
25-06-2012, 20:08   #10
MusicLaw

Originally Posted by OneOleMan View Post
Looking at the back of my FT60 it looks like it was set up for a spanner wrench to be used to remove it. Mine also shows battery number CR 2025. Sort of small for these old eyes but it's there.
A 2 Euro Coin fits the concave slot perfectly! I find a magnifying pair of glasses are very helpful for delicate, detailed close up work.

Training Gear:

K2® BOA MACH100 Skates
HARBINGER® 1260 Gloves
CAMELBAK® Packs
ERGON® GP5 Grips