22-12-2008, 19:32   #1
Charlie9038

BMI 34, need to loose the lard, help is needed
Hi,
Just had a health check at the gym and my BMI is 33.1 so need to shift a lot of weight. I have just bought the FT80 to help me with this challenge but now am confused as the training zone to optimize my results. I used the FT80 today and the results show that I seem to be in Zone 3 for 15 mins, zone 2 for 10, zone 1 for 5, which is good for CV but bad for weight loss, I am confused about this as it seems the wrong way round ie should be in zone 1 for weight loss. Surely the more sweat you break out the more weight you will loose, kind of like a car on the motorway?

Please could someone help me with this, and if this is the case what about heart rate training, when does that come into it or do you loose the weight then focus on the heart?

Thanks
Charlie9038 is offline Reply With Quote
24-12-2008, 14:35   #2
mikij

Good start. Everybody that wants to loose the weight and decides to do it is a kind of hero!
I did it few years ago (lost 112 lbs) and from BMI of >40, I am now on <25 (but I built some muscles so the BMI formula cheats). Anyways, my fat is now below 18%.
First, ask your doctor what to do - he is the best person to help you. Then, find a qualified nutritionist because 60-70% of success are your eating habits. To this, add the resting 30-40% (the exercise) because when you start loosing wight your metabolism will try to slow down, so you'll need to accelerate it by exercising.
When overweight, you cannot run, it is obviously too dangerous for your heart to go at 80% of your Max HR or more (and your joints wouldn't appreciate either). I did it really mostly in zones 1 and 2 for six or seven months (I lost 50 lbs during that period). Weight loss is faster at the beginning because you move a lot of weight (and it burns a lot of calories). I always give an example of moving a 10 lbs box or 50 lbs box. Obviously, the latter needs a lot more energy to move!
So, after 6-7 months, I started occasionally to jog (like: 400 yards walk, 50 yards jog), and by gradually increasing the jog, one day I came to conclusion that I could jog more than walk. Finally, I started exclusively to run and I adore it You must have pleasure in what you do because if you start too fast you can be discouraged fast.
Try like I did it. For the first 4 weeks:
Monday 20-30" @50 - 60% maxHR
Tuesday (day off)
Wednesday 25" 50 - @60 maxHR
Thursday (day off)
Friday 30" 50 - @60 % maxHR
Saturday (day off)
Sunday 15" 50 - @60 % maxHR

The following 4 weeks:
Monday 30-35" @50 - 60 % maxHR
Tuesday (day off)
Wednesday 30" @50 - 60 % maxHR
Thursday (day off)
Friday 30" @50 - 60% maxHR
Saturday (day off)
Sunday 15" @50 - 60% maxHR

Then, go with this (after 2-3 months of training experience):
Monday 30" @50 - 60 % maxHR
Tuesday (day off)
Thursday 15" @50 - 60 % maxHR
Friday 30" 50 - 60 % maxHR Saturday

Sunday 15" 50 - 65 % maxHR

(after 4-5 months of training):
Tuesday (day off)
Thursday 20" @50 - 65 % maxHR
Friday 30" @50 - 60 % maxHR
Saturday (day off)
Sunday 20" @50 - 65 % maxHR

After 5 months I did it like this:
Monday (day off)
Tuesday (short day) Warm up for 5 to 10 min; 30 min at @50-70% MaxHR; slow down for 5 minutes.
Wednesday (short day) (same as Tuesday)
Thursday (long day) Warm up for 5 to 10 min; 60 min @50-70% HRM; slow down for 5 min.
Friday (short day) (same as Tuesday)
Saturday (long easy day) Warm up for 5 to 10 minutes; 30 min @50-70% HRM; 30-60 additional minutes @50-60%; slow down for 5 minutes.
Sunday (long day) (same as Thursday)

Always finish your workouts with light stretching and never do stretching before your workouts (while your muscles are still not warm).

This is just an idea and that's how I did it.
My goal was to loose weight and I had no time limit to do that because you can be discouraged if you don't respect your time frame. It took almost 18 months for me to loose 112 pounds, but it was safe all the time, my every workout became a pleasure and now I am a passionate competitive runner (age 50). While in weight loss period, I didn't want to build muscles because they are heavier than fat and just seeing the scale going up (when you expect going down) could discourage me, no matter what the personal trainers say. If you can live with that, go ahead.

Do anything you can to motivate yourself - Excel files with your statistics (time, distance, HR...), draw graphs, put your training plan on your door, invite your friends or family members to walk with you...

I can't say you "Good luck" because luck has nothing to do with the weight loss. I can wish you a lot of perseverance and a lot of success. Your first step - to do something instead of exasperating and waiting - was the most important and it proves that you have the mental strength to do it. Success in weight loss is maybe 60-70% in eating habits and 30-40% in exercising, but it surely is 100% between the two ears

Mike
mikij is offline Reply With Quote
25-12-2008, 20:05   #3
Charlie9038

Thanks
Many thanks for your advice, I will put it into practice and let you know how I get on.
Well done on your weight loss you have inspired me.

Have a great Xmas & New year

Charlie

Last edited by Charlie9038 : 25-12-2008 at 20:07. Reason: spelling
Charlie9038 is offline Reply With Quote
26-12-2008, 02:01   #4
mikij

Merry Xmas to you, too, and I wish you a lot of success in 2009. You can do it!

Mike

P.S. On my blog http://fitnotfat11.blogspot.com (unfortunately, I didn't update it since a long time, but the beginning is important), you can find how I did it and what I looked like before and after:
http://fitnotfat11.blogspot.com/2007_07_01_archive.html
(this is my first post, in subsequent posts, you'll find my program and an example of what I ate).

Last edited by mikij : 26-12-2008 at 02:07. Reason: Added Link, more detail
27-12-2008, 17:32   #5
Robert_the_swede

Great thoughts and tips from Robert the Swede who just started yesterday...
Many thanks for great text and suggestion in your quote earlier. Myself just started yesterday at 127 kg (alot) and need to get into shape as you have managed.

Keep fingers crossed and I will be fit next New Year.

Reds - Robert - The Swede

Originally Posted by mikij View Post
Good start. Everybody that wants to loose the weight and decides to do it is a kind of hero!
I did it few years ago (lost 112 lbs) and from BMI of >40, I am now on <25 (but I built some muscles so the BMI formula cheats). Anyways, my fat is now below 18%.
First, ask your doctor what to do - he is the best person to help you. Then, find a qualified nutritionist because 60-70% of success are your eating habits. To this, add the resting 30-40% (the exercise) because when you start loosing wight your metabolism will try to slow down, so you'll need to accelerate it by exercising.
When overweight, you cannot run, it is obviously too dangerous for your heart to go at 80% of your Max HR or more (and your joints wouldn't appreciate either). I did it really mostly in zones 1 and 2 for six or seven months (I lost 50 lbs during that period). Weight loss is faster at the beginning because you move a lot of weight (and it burns a lot of calories). I always give an example of moving a 10 lbs box or 50 lbs box. Obviously, the latter needs a lot more energy to move!
So, after 6-7 months, I started occasionally to jog (like: 400 yards walk, 50 yards jog), and by gradually increasing the jog, one day I came to conclusion that I could jog more than walk. Finally, I started exclusively to run and I adore it You must have pleasure in what you do because if you start too fast you can be discouraged fast.
Try like I did it. For the first 4 weeks:
Monday 20-30" @50 - 60% maxHR
Tuesday (day off)
Wednesday 25" 50 - @60 maxHR
Thursday (day off)
Friday 30" 50 - @60 % maxHR
Saturday (day off)
Sunday 15" 50 - @60 % maxHR

The following 4 weeks:
Monday 30-35" @50 - 60 % maxHR
Tuesday (day off)
Thursday (day off)
Friday 30" @50 - 60% maxHR
Saturday (day off)
Sunday 15" @50 - 60% maxHR

Then, go with this (after 2-3 months of training experience):
Tuesday (day off)
Thursday 15" @50 - 60 % maxHR
Friday 30" 50 - 60 % maxHR Saturday

Sunday 15" 50 - 65 % maxHR

(after 4-5 months of training):
Tuesday (day off)
Thursday 20" @50 - 65 % maxHR
Friday 30" @50 - 60 % maxHR
Saturday (day off)
Sunday 20" @50 - 65 % maxHR

After 5 months I did it like this:
Monday (day off)
Tuesday (short day) Warm up for 5 to 10 min; 30 min at @50-70% MaxHR; slow down for 5 minutes.
Wednesday (short day) (same as Tuesday)
Thursday (long day) Warm up for 5 to 10 min; 60 min @50-70% HRM; slow down for 5 min.
Friday (short day) (same as Tuesday)
Saturday (long easy day) Warm up for 5 to 10 minutes; 30 min @50-70% HRM; 30-60 additional minutes @50-60%; slow down for 5 minutes.
Sunday (long day) (same as Thursday)

Always finish your workouts with light stretching and never do stretching before your workouts (while your muscles are still not warm).

This is just an idea and that's how I did it.
My goal was to loose weight and I had no time limit to do that because you can be discouraged if you don't respect your time frame. It took almost 18 months for me to loose 112 pounds, but it was safe all the time, my every workout became a pleasure and now I am a passionate competitive runner (age 50). While in weight loss period, I didn't want to build muscles because they are heavier than fat and just seeing the scale going up (when you expect going down) could discourage me, no matter what the personal trainers say. If you can live with that, go ahead.

Do anything you can to motivate yourself - Excel files with your statistics (time, distance, HR...), draw graphs, put your training plan on your door, invite your friends or family members to walk with you...

I can't say you "Good luck" because luck has nothing to do with the weight loss. I can wish you a lot of perseverance and a lot of success. Your first step - to do something instead of exasperating and waiting - was the most important and it proves that you have the mental strength to do it. Success in weight loss is maybe 60-70% in eating habits and 30-40% in exercising, but it surely is 100% between the two ears

Mike
Robert_the_swede is offline Reply With Quote
28-12-2008, 00:43   #6
mikij

127 kg is less than 134 kg I had before I started

Try to do it until the next New Year, but do not consider it as a law, as something inevitable. Be motivated because it IS possible.

Mike

Last edited by mikij : 28-12-2008 at 00:44. Reason: typo