Dear Polar forum users,

On 15th December we'll be closing this discussion forum. But not to worry, our dialog with you can continue on our Facebook wall. There you can hear the latest news, learn about events and campaigns, and share your thoughts with Polar community. If you need assistance on your Polar product, please contact Polar customer care.

Thank you for being active here. You’re the best! We hope to see you on Facebook!

10-04-2012, 09:06   #1
Alexander Lapajne

API / Protocol specification
Hello!

I'm writing an Android App that reads the heart rate of the Polar Wearlink+ Bluetooth heartrate monitor. Is there a specification for the protocol used to communicate? Or is there an API?

Email: alexanderlapajne@yahoo.com

/Alex
Alexander Lapajne is offline Reply With Quote
10-04-2012, 11:37   #2
Main User

Originally Posted by Alexander Lapajne View Post
Hello!

I'm writing an Android App that reads the heart rate of the Polar Wearlink+ Bluetooth heartrate monitor. Is there a specification for the protocol used to communicate? Or is there an API?

Email: alexanderlapajne@yahoo.com

/Alex
Hiya Alex,
We just published the H7 sensor which uses the bluetooth smart protocol. It's an open standard, low energy technology, which all smart phones will eventually support. The new Polar H7 sensor makes use of three different standardized services:
- Heart rate service
- Battery service
- Device information service

To find out more about these services and to get instructions on how to start using them, please visit this Bluetooth SIG site:
http://developer.bluetooth.org/gatt/...vicesHome.aspx

Hope this helps.

//kate
moderator is offline Reply With Quote
10-04-2012, 17:34   #3
Alexander Lapajne

Originally Posted by moderator View Post
Hiya Alex,
We just published the H7 sensor which uses the bluetooth smart protocol. It's an open standard, low energy technology, which all smart phones will eventually support. The new Polar H7 sensor makes use of three different standardized services:
- Heart rate service
- Battery service
- Device information service

To find out more about these services and to get instructions on how to start using them, please visit this Bluetooth SIG site:
http://developer.bluetooth.org/gatt/...vicesHome.aspx

Hope this helps.

//kate
Hello Kate!

Thanks for the quick reply!

So this is all done using Web Services then I gather? There's no "low end" protocol? What would I do in Android? Use JSON?

You don't have anything like an example Android project that talks to the heartrate monitor?

/Alex
11-04-2012, 11:00   #4
Main User

Hello Kate!

Thanks for the quick reply!

So this is all done using Web Services then I gather? There's no "low end" protocol? What would I do in Android? Use JSON?

You don't have anything like an example Android project that talks to the heartrate monitor?

/Alex
Hi Alex,

Polar Bluetooth protocol itself is not an open SDK. It requires a licensing agreement, done according to Polar licensing process. If you'd like to get considered for a licence, please contact helpdesk@polar.fi with answers to the below questions. For internal evaluation of our possible co-operation we would need more detailed information from your side. We want to ensure that application developers meet Polar's quality standards.
- We would like to know in what kind of a business case you have planned to use Polar Bluetooth protocol/transmitter?
- What is the host-system you have and how does the system work?
- How is the Polar Bluetooth transmitter used in connection to the host?
- Who are in charge of this and what are their responsibilities?
- How are you going to utilize Polar brand?
- What is your volume forecast?
- What is the expected price level?
- What will be the distribution channel?
- How is After Sales operations planned to be handled?
- Who are your end-users and how can they use the heart rate feature in your application?

Hope this helps.

//kate
12-04-2012, 16:53   #5
ScaredyCatuk

Hi Alex,
Polar Bluetooth protocol itself is not an open SDK. It requires a licensing agreement, done according to Polar licensing process. If you'd like to get considered for a licence, please contact helpdesk@polar.fi with answers to the below questions. For internal evaluation of our possible co-operation we would need more detailed information from your side. We want to ensure that application developers meet Polar's quality standards.
- We would like to know in what kind of a business case you have planned to use Polar Bluetooth protocol/transmitter?
- Who are your end-users and how can they use the heart rate feature in your application?

Hope this helps.
//kate

Just reading this makes me want to throw my polar gear into the bin. While most companies see the benefit of opening up their devices, Polar go in the the opposite direction.

Andy
ScaredyCatuk is offline Reply With Quote
13-04-2012, 07:43   #6
Alexander Lapajne

Originally Posted by ScaredyCatuk View Post
Just reading this makes me want to throw my polar gear into the bin. While most companies see the benefit of opening up their devices, Polar go in the the opposite direction.

Andy
I would have to agree with you, Andy. It should be in Polar's best interest to have app:s that use their hardware. People hear about the app and want to buy the hardware. Simple, no?
13-04-2012, 07:49   #7
Alexander Lapajne

Hi Alex,

Hope this helps.

//kate
Hello Kate,

Well, it's really simple: I bought your Polar Wearlink+ Bluetooth heartrate monitor, I'm an Android programmer and I'd like to write a test application to see if I can read the heart rate from your device. It's not a commercial app.

I see that there are already several app:s on Google Play (the Android App Store) that read the pulse from your Wearlink+. Some are commercial, other just small hacks. Have they all gone through this process?

Here are a few links from Google Play:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...5hdmlnYXRvciJd
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...8uYW5kcm9pZCJd
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...JwZXRlLmdwcyJd
17-04-2012, 06:35   #8
Main User

Hello Kate,

Well, it's really simple: I bought your Polar Wearlink+ Bluetooth heartrate monitor, I'm an Android programmer and I'd like to write a test application to see if I can read the heart rate from your device. It's not a commercial app.

I see that there are already several app:s on Google Play (the Android App Store) that read the pulse from your Wearlink+. Some are commercial, other just small hacks. Have they all gone through this process?

Here are a few links from Google Play:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...5hdmlnYXRvciJd
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...8uYW5kcm9pZCJd
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...JwZXRlLmdwcyJd
Hi Alex,
I understand and am sorry about your frustration. Our licencing process was originally meant for companies and had a fee attached to it. The licencing was made free of charge to make it more accessible to private developers as well. To get a licence is not automatic, like where you fill in a form and then download. Instead, each licence application is approved by the CEO. All developers making Polar compatible applications, be it private individuals or companies, have gone through this process. Unfortunately I cannot offer you any over-night change in the matter, but I've certainly taken your sentiments to the right dpts. If it feels too cumbersome for you to send the email to our customer care to seek a licence, then I'm afraid there's little else I can suggest

//kate
24-06-2012, 17:36   #9
dajomas

As an amateur Android developer (developing mainly for my own use), I have taken the time to request the license base on Kate's guidelines.

It took me less than 20 minutes to fill out the request. I will keep you posted on how it goes.
dajomas is offline Reply With Quote
27-06-2012, 07:13   #10
dajomas

Unfortunately, I was not granted a license because I do not have a commercial plan.

I am an amateur Android programmer and wanted to write a sort of an ECG app. Which I might have put on Google Play as free software.

I used the questions Kate posted to request the license but got turned down with the annoying response: "I hope you find suitable fitness applications on the market which fulfills your needs"

No, I didn't find the app I was looking for hence the request for the license so I could write it myself.

-1 for Polar on this one.
dajomas is offline Reply With Quote