Reply
26-06-2011, 10:00   #1
encoded
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2
Training load , what do the values mean
Hi guys and gals

I am struggling to understand what those "Training load" values mean, is there a simple chart, something like the VO2 chart that one can refer to to get an idea of what the values mean. I have went through the community site searching for something but found no useful information.

Thanks all
Kennedy
encoded is offline Reply With Quote
28-06-2011, 21:28   #2
b6ann
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1
Originally Posted by encoded View Post
Hi guys and gals

I am struggling to understand what those "Training load" values mean, is there a simple chart, something like the VO2 chart that one can refer to to get an idea of what the values mean. I have went through the community site searching for something but found no useful information.

Thanks all
Kennedy
Kennedy, I second that question. I am also interested in finding out exactly how the training load is calculated. Unless it's a proprietary calculation, I am hoping that one of the moderators can help us. Bill
b6ann is offline Reply With Quote
29-06-2011, 09:04   #3
moderator
Main User
 
moderator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,388
Please, find more information about the Training Load feature from the polarpersonaltrainer.com Help. So choose Help > Help > My Training > Training Load.

Br, Jaana
moderator is offline Reply With Quote
29-06-2011, 18:23   #4
encoded
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2
Originally Posted by b6ann View Post
Kennedy, I second that question. I am also interested in finding out exactly how the training load is calculated. Unless it's a proprietary calculation, I am hoping that one of the moderators can help us. Bill
Bill,
If you do get any info, please post here
Regards
Ken
encoded is offline Reply With Quote
30-06-2011, 06:24   #5
testera5091
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 381
To me, training load seems something very simmilar to exertion, but with a sort of exponential decay.
But this is strickly from my observation, not an official explanation.
testera5091 is offline Reply With Quote
30-06-2011, 22:20   #6
MaverickNH
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 19
Originally Posted by moderator View Post
Please, find more information about the Training Load feature from the polarpersonaltrainer.com Help. So choose Help > Help > My Training > Training Load.

Br, Jaana
Not much explanation to be had: "Training load takes into consideration different factors which affect your training load and recovery time, such as heart rate during training, duration of training, and of course your individual factors, e.g. sex, age, height, and weight."

What basis does Polar use to calculate Training Load? Other models (Coggan/TrainingPeaks TSS/TSB, PhysFarm RaceDay Apollo, Suunto/FirstBeat, etc.) disclose their models. A useful model has to be right rather than a proprietary model that cannot be evaluated.

References to published literature or White Papers are needed.
MaverickNH is offline Reply With Quote
01-07-2011, 10:50   #7
DasTier
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 11
Heart rate variability
Dear all,

I would assume that Polar is calculating the Training Load on the basis of the HRV. At least the fitness test in the Polar RCX5 is doing this and I suppose the same applies for the training load.
But a confirmation of my assumption and more detailed information would be very good.

For further software development it might be also an idea to be able to adjust the scales of red, yellow and green according to your own wish.

best regards
DasTier is offline Reply With Quote
01-07-2011, 19:57   #8
tgalati4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: West Hills, CA
Posts: 671
I agree with the Granite State. Polar has their reasons for keeping the model proprietary, but it leads to an endless series of inquires as to how it works.

Training load is a black box and nobody (except Polar) knows how it works.

Is it useful for you? Perhaps, but the only way to know for sure is to examine the data that the model was based on.

If it was based on recovery data for Finnish military cadets, then it might not be accurate for someone twice that age and slightly overweight.
tgalati4 is offline Reply With Quote
03-07-2011, 05:00   #9
oakers
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1
If I were to pay attention to training load, I would only ride twice a week. Seems next to useless at the moment. I suppose it's supposed to help with recovery, but for serious riders, it has to be ignored. Can you imagine? "Sorry, guys, my Polar says no hard ride today."
oakers is offline Reply With Quote
04-07-2011, 11:26   #10
MaverickNH
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 19
Originally Posted by DasTier View Post
Dear all,

I would assume that Polar is calculating the Training Load on the basis of the HRV. At least the fitness test in the Polar RCX5 is doing this and I suppose the same applies for the training load.
best regards
Sadly, the RCX5 export function does not include HRV data, just bpm. Assuming HRV data are there, it's unfortunate they choose to strip it out.
MaverickNH is offline Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools